904 transmission problem 71 dart

-

Greek Dart 71

Reaction score
I have a question similar to this thread. I have a 71 dart swinger with a 318 and a 904 automatic torqueflite transmission. I am new to owning classic cars, just last weekend I noticed that the dart when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the car shifts then revs like it like it is slipping or something! I don't even know if it shifting into 3rd. Before I could distinctly feel the shifting between all three gears. Any ideas on what is wrong all of a sudden? And how much it should cost to fix?

check a few things..check the throttle pressure linkage...aka kickdown linkage...went was the last time the bands were adjusted and fluids/filter changed?

sounds like your front band may be worn out or just needs adjusted, you can do so by the band adjuster on the drivers side of the trans closest to the bell housing area, just above the transmission pan casting area, will be behind the shift linkage. you need to loosen the jam nut and tighten the inner bolt to 72 inch pounds and then loosen it 2.25 to 2.5 turns after torquing it to 72 inch pounds, then just hold the inner bolt secure while tightening the jam nut!

How long has the car been sitting?It might have a small trans leak(low fluid)Check trans fluid with car in neutral.Might just be low?Good luck.

Thanks everyone! There are no leaks i will check the fluids and front band. Any big chance that the transmission will need a total rebuild?

if you do the band adjustment, count how many turns it takes to tighten the adjuster screw.

Im, having the same problem with mine, only it's been setting up for a couple of years.
Let us know if the band adjustment works for you.

So the problem was a broken clip. I am assuming it is attached to the tranny somehow! Anyways ten bucks and a smooth running ride! Additionally, the previous advice was spot on as the mechanic stated that the front band and tranny fluid are most likely the issue

So the problem was a broken clip. I am assuming it is attached to the tranny somehow! Anyways ten bucks and a smooth running ride! Additionally, the previous advice was spot on as the mechanic stated that the front band and tranny fluid are most likely the issue

what do you mean a broken clip ? can you elaborate for everyone

Sorry!!! i miss spoke earlier, it was a broken throttle linkage clip. The front band was fine and the transmission fluid levels were fine. Sorry for the confusion. I am a novice and i bought tho car to learn work work on cars. Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion.

-
Back