-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On my 66 Dart build, before I started teardown on my dart I rebuilt the Trans. I did this myself. It worked good for about 2 hundred miles. when I was getting car back together, I adjusted bands. Now the question. If I got rear band too tight, will this make the 2-3 shift soft, vague? 1-2 crisp. I have a shift kit going in, just got, should have done it out of car, but im the king of redoing things. im using the correct kickdown setup. WOT the kickdown is almost max rear ward. notice this when driving sedately, in traffic. Stock build 904. thanks:burnout:MT

how many turns did you adjust the rear band too?

the spec for the double wrap band is 4 turns...will a half turn make a different...IDK...

what do you guys think could the cause be of what i'm experiencing ? And do you think the shift kit will resolve this, not make it worse. The kit is a B&M trans pac two in one kit.

Yes it will make the shift soft. Always new when the band needed to be replaced. It acts like it takes an extra second for the shift to occur. I even adjusted band too tight once and the band gouged the drum. I have converted both race car and street car to reverse manual valve bodies. No more kick down linkage needed. What lever ratio did you use? You will like the shift kit. Suggestion, on your kick down linkage. Cut the main piece in half, thread both ends and put in a sleeve. That way you can adjust how fast or slow the linkage reacts.

Just reading install directions on trans pac, it shows 2 and a half turns out from snug. I will be puttng in kit ASAP. Thanks^^^^^^ As throttle increases, I assume this increases trans pressure. correct?

there is a difference in rear band adjustment between a /6 904 and a v8 904...the v8 904 use a double wrap rear band...

The rear band has no affect on the 2-3 shift unless it's tightened down so tight it's locked solid, and then you won't have 2nd gear cause it'd just lock up. The front band affects the 2-3 shift if not adjusted properly

The rear band has no affect on the 2-3 shift unless it's tightened down so tight it's locked solid, and then you won't have 2nd gear cause it'd just lock up. The front band affects the 2-3 shift if not adjusted properly
A ha! useful info. What should it be adjusted too? Two turns?

During the 2-3 shift,the valve body is engaging the high drum, while simultaneously disengaging the KD band. By this time the L/R band is long ago parked. If this shift is "vague" it's probably due to low line-pressure, low TV pressure or both.
Over the years, I have tried all kinds of different band adjustments. In my experience , it didn't seem to be all that critical .Until it got to be too tight, or very loose. I certainly wouldn't be dropping the pan for a half turn.

During the 2-3 shift,the valve body is engaging the high drum, while simultaneously disengaging the KD band. By this time the L/R band is long ago parked. If this shift is "vague" it's probably due to low line-pressure, low TV pressure or both.
Over the years, I have tried all kinds of different band adjustments. In my experience , it didn't seem to be all that critical .Until it got to be too tight, or very loose. I certainly wouldn't be dropping the pan for a half turn.
Thanks, :burnout:MT

-
Back