97 RAM 1500 5.2 2WD TF issues

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
The TF in my 'beater' 1200 dollar pickup is leaking bad. Don't know if it's just the front seal, wear on converter, front pump or ???

Several.........

1........How do I ID this thing?

2........What years / models are a drop in replacement?

3........"I might" have a conventional old TF I can swap in there, if only temporarily. Is that feasable, and what about driveline splines, etc? I realize I'd have to mod an old one for the crank trigger, and the flex plate pattern is prob'ly different.

1. As long as it's the original trans it should have the 46RE in it.

2. wish I could help but they changed them darn things every year or two so I'm not sure what years will interchange.

3. An old style 727 will bolt up to the engine. The flexplate on the newer ones have a concentric bolt pattern unlike the older 727's that have one offset bolt. I have read (no personal experience) that all you have to do is elongate one hole so it'll bolt to the old style converter. But again I haven't tried this so it's just hearsay. The output shaft splines are the same I believe. Of course the length of the trans is different so you'd need a longer driveshaft. In the end I think it might be just as easy to find a replacement trans or rebuild yours. Not sure about yours but my local junk yards have interchange books to tell you what'll work.

BTW: I assume you've checked all the easy things that might be the leaking culprit? There are a few things that'll run down the bellhousing and make it appear it's coming from the front seal. The front cooler line is one. The dipstick tube is another.

-
Back