98 Truck questions

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I've been looking for a truck that was priced good enough for me to buy as a vehicle to pull my car and trailer. I've found a 98 ram standard cab shortbed with 137000 miles but no rust. The old man that owned it painted the bottom below the trim and just above the wheel wells with what looks to be a bed liner type paint. Seems to have protected it very well. So far i've only seen pics but the seller has sent me 30 or more. Its a 5.2, 4wd automatic. With the mileage im assuming the trans wouldnt handle much towing before a rebuild. My trailer and car I would guess to be around 5k lbs maybe a little less. The person that has the truck got it in a deal for remodeling this guys home so he has no use for it. I made an offer but someone else is looking at it tomorrow and I cant get there until Tuesday. He said if it doesnt get bought tomorrow he would accept my offer. Of course I told him I would first need to check frt end for bearings and ball joints along with motor and trans. What are your thoughts on trans and motor with the mileage it has? Also anyone else towing with a 98 short bed? I hope to find a tag on rear to see gear ratio. Did they put ratio or an ID# on tags? What other concerns other then normal stuff should I check before buying? As I said body looks in good shape with no rust other than the ugly paint.
Thanks, Rod

I'll chime in more later (have to go right now) but I towed with my 98 ext cab for many years. The inherent problems with that era is: trans/rearend/radiator. Besides the crappy fuel mileage, it gets it done. I'll check back in later today.

I towed with my 01 ext cab short bed ram for many years with few problems,now I tow with my 09 ext cab 4 wd hemi short bed.It does the job very nicely.............................Jeff

Usually bedliner around wheel openings and anything on the lower half of the vehicle means it's covering up a half-assed rust repair, don't over pay for a rot box. Short wheel base half tons usually don't tow all that great, the trailer usually pushes the truck around especially if it's heavier than the truck.

I agree with covering up an issue but ive seen very close ups and this appears to be just an ugly coating of what looks like a bed liner type paint that has worn off a lot over the years. But believe me I will look very close before I buy because I dont want someone elses rust bucket. The only reason I am looking at a small wheel base is because I want to keep it in my garage and I also will only be towing about 35-40 miles at a time with the exception of once a year if I would decide to go to the car show at ocean city md and that would be 165 miles one way. I will try posting some pics of it later tonight if I get a chance. I thought maybe if I get it I would install a shift kit. Would that help to extend any longevity in trans. He says it shifts great but ive heard that many times over the years. Also will need to install a trans cooler although he thinks it has one now.
Keep your thoughts coming as I may need to make a decision on Tuesday.
Thanks Rod

98 were the years that like to rust alot, especially around here, I can almost guarantee that that bed-liner coating is hiding rust.
With a weight distribution hitch the swb will tow decent.
I think the biggest down fall to this truck is towing with the 318, it will do it just slow. Unless you can get it really cheap I would keep looking.

-
Back