99 Durango Rear

-

Dusterb318

Reaction score
Got some noise coming from the woman's Durango rear. It kinda sounds like a rubbing or low growl. It only happens at slow speeds and if I apply the brakes it goes away. I was thinking a spring or something broke and a shoe was dragging.....well i pulled the drums and everything looks fine. It does have a LS rear and I am wondering it it is the clutch plates chattering in there......I added 1 bottle of the MP lube last summer when I changed the gear oil maybe I need another bottle? Any ideas?

Check the fluid for metal filings. The shop I use to work at, we had quite a few pinion bearins go out and also side bearings. I hope that isn't your problem. Good luck. Green Duster.

Clutch plates wouldn't chatter when your going straight, only when turning and applying the brakes wouldn't likely stop them from chattering if that was the problem. A low growl sounds like a bearing problem.

I'll check the fluid.....the thing that makes me thinks it's in the brakes is that the sound completely stops with light pressure to the brakes. The wheels can still be moving but with slight pressure on the brakes it goes away. I'll check the fluid anyway just to rule it out.

Well I just called the woman cause this is driving me nuts......She said it isn't any louder and it sounds like a tire rubbing not a growl which is good. She also said the noise is non-exsistant over 15mph and under that speed it happens whether she is on the gas or coasting and is intermitant. If she takes off easy it makes the noise until it gets going around 20mph or so but if she takes off hard there in no noise at all. I only pull the passenger side tire off the other day cause I thought it was coming from that side.....maybe it is a shoe on the drivers side. The drum did come off with out any effort. I think I'll change the diff oil add some LS lube, pluu the drivers side wheel off and check those brakes and then adjust up the rears and see what it does. I'll check the ujoints again to cause those things eat U-joints. I think I'll check the pinion angle too and look for anything rubbing or loose. That should cover my Saturday........

Dry U-joints can make a noise like that also. Also check that other side brakes. Sometimes sounds will travel from side to side and fool you. I wouldn't worry about checking the pinion angle. Unless something broke that shouldn't have changed and won't cause any abnormal noise anyway. That's just a waste of time. Good luck.

Good call on the dry joints....I replaced the rear one about a month ago cause it had a cracked cap.....I grease it again and inspect the front one......chances are it is on it's last leg.

Mine does the same thing, i have a 99 4x4, Two things to check, your fluid level an make sure your Ebrake isnt too tight, Believe it or not that will cause it to make noise.

-
Back