99 magnum to 833 tranny?

-

Stripey

Reaction score
Im a newbie concerning mopars. I have a 68 barracuda 833 4 speed. Finally got the 318 running but has issues and came across a 99 360. What issues will i run across? I will swap over intake, carb, headers and such. What will be my main issues? Is it worth it? Thanks a ton...this website has been awesome knowledge for me!

intake wont fit unless it also fits the magnum heads, gotta get an external balance flywheel, hack a bit off the input shaft too.

You will also need a oil pan and pickup tube off a LA360 for the center sump along with a LA pan gasket set. Also needed to make a spacer for the driver side motor mount on one bolt, or a mount for a LA360.

Are you going to keep the serpentine belt or swap over to the LA vee belt system? You can keep the serpentine belt and ran a electric fuel pump . Or swap your old timing cover,water pump to the Magnum,you will need a fuel pump eccentric adapter from hughes . And a balancer to fit your pulley weighted for the magnum.
takes a little doing, but well worth it
Hopes this helps

will the 318 pan and timing cover swap over or is the 360's different? Its technically my fathers project but I came across a running 98 360. Needless to say he bought it and now we have it tore down to a short block. We are learning as we go!

I don't think the oil pan will fit due to the rear main seal area. Yes the timing cover will fit. Are you wanting to keep the vee belt set up? The front balancer will be the biggie. The LA318 was internal balanced . And the Magnum is external balance. You will have to get A flywheel for the Magnum 5.9. Think Mopar has one,not sure on aftermarket. Even the LA 360 won't work due to the LA 360 has a balance weight of 14 oz out and the Magnum is 19 oz.If my memory is correct.

hopes this helps

you also will need a pilot bearing to go into the end of the crankshaft. I have done three 360 magnums into my stockcar and did not have to trim the end of the input shaft on the A833, but maybe there are some differences in some crankshafts where this is necessary.

I had an issue with using some old hooker street headers as they hit the bosses on the engine block for the magnum type engine mount brackets. I trimmed the boss off and was good to go. Not sure what headers you have, but just be aware.

-
Back