A-833 - 4 speed - sticking and grinding at times

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
'66 Barracuda Formula S 273....Its been about 2000 miles since my A-833, 4 spd tranny was rebuilt and it still does not shift smoothly at times..."Like clock work" when I hit the 15 mile mark when I'm out cruising and shift 3rd to 4th I feel and hear metal grinding/shearing as I pass thru the 3rd into 4th. Especially at low rpm shifts (below 3500rpm). If I get on her hard 4500+ rpms she shifts like a knife thru hot butter! The higher the rpms my shifts are the better she shifts!!! Prior to the 15 mile mark the 1st to 2nd shift is sticky. I've experienced similar issues with a prior rebuilt A-833 in my car. Been told the Inland shifter are notorious for crappy shifting. Anyone else experiencing these issues with an Inland? I believe its running 90 wt. oil. Insight fellas???

'66 Barracuda Formula S 273....Its been about 2000 miles since my A-833, 4 spd tranny was rebuilt and it still does not shift smoothly at times..."Like clock work" when I hit the 15 mile mark when I'm out cruising and shift 3rd to 4th I feel and hear metal grinding/shearing as I pass thru the 3rd into 4th. Especially at low rpm shifts (below 3500rpm). If I get on her hard 4500+ rpms she shifts like a knife thru hot butter! The higher the rpms my shifts are the better she shifts!!! Prior to the 15 mile mark the 1st to 2nd shift is sticky. I've experienced similar issues with a prior rebuilt A-833 in my car. Been told the Inland shifter are notorious for crappy shifting. Anyone else experiencing these issues with an Inland? I believe its running 90 wt. oil. Insight fellas???
I've only had one inland shifter. It looked okay, but for shifting gears, it was p-poor, compared to a Hurst. That said, that may not be the only reason for your shifting problems.

I agree with RC. If you're not trying to shift it with your foot on the floor it's probably not the shifter. First thing I think of of is clutch adjustment. If the disc has a marcel spring in it you may need up to .080-090 clearance at the disc.

The other thing I can think of would be gear lube. Oven ever been a fan of ATF in a gearbox. Gear oils are way too good today to bother with ATF.

Ok, just reread the post. You have gear lube in there. Quite odd it likes to be hammered on to shift. I doubt that is a synchro deal but could be.

Agree with YR, I had a custom disc by Hays with no marcel and It worked great, about 2" of pedal travel and it was totally disconnected. I got it for racing but put a lot of street miles on it also. Now I tried a lot of different fluids gear oil was the hardest to shift especially cold, 40 wt worked good with an ep additive but would grind if shifted hard. ATF type F worked best super easy to shift but would always grind in 2nd if grabbing gears. Then 1qt ATF type F and 1qt B&M trick shift worked for racing super easy to shift, never ground a gear, never missed a gear, but was definitely hard on the gears & bearings. I tried some synthetics but i found that it was for rear end gears and was too slippery for the synchronizer.
I would try some different fluids, synthetic for transmissions.

Thanks fellas... I'll try a fluid change in the near future...just had to schedule a "SURPRISE" knee surgery that will keep from working on it.

-
Back