A-Bodies...Big Motors / New Hemi Duster - FINAL ASSEMBLY

-

HemiDenny

HDK Suspension
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Now it's time to get you up-to-date; culminating in the final assembly
of my 426 Hemi street Duster with the aluminum intensive powertrain.

DennysShop01-21-11120.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11124.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11127.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11130.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11132.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11163.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11162.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11164.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11161.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11158.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11151.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11154.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11150.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11156.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11168.jpg

DennysShop01-21-11152.jpg

It's my build and my personal car. Old Man Mopar is my older brother/photographer/critic.

I see, are you building the hemi yourself or are you putting a crate in it. Nice car, beautiful.

I purchased all the pieces when I was living in WV (now back in Findlay,O..about 225 miles away) I put together 2 basically identical Hemis...one for Jim's Demon...and one for myself....machined aluminium blocks from World Products,rotating assembly from Mancini in Detroit area, ect.I had a local (NW Ohio) machine shop (with a trusted Mopar manager/builder) check all dimensions,clean,balance,degree the cam and assemble the short blocks.I have assembled my own Hemis in the past, but because of time/distance/tools in several zip codes/preparring for move...I had the short blocks subbed out.From there I assembled the rest of the motors/powertrains...the Demons in WV and this one (mine) a short time ago in Ohio

I'm in Ft Wayne, who's the builder if you don't mind me asking, I'm looking for one in the area.

the machine/engine shop manager is Mike Graham..at Thayer Auto Group (he's at the Ford store) in Bowling Green,Ohio...I never thought I would have someone else build my short blocks....but I would highly recommend him...he did a 440 for my younger brother and he will be dropping off a 383 shortly.Mike KNOWS Mopars!

the can said...Silver Candy Apple Primer....the old farmer I got it from at a yard sale said it was pre-war...only question...which war?....

the bottom (and interior) was painted and sealed without the clearcoat...just to blow some color on it.... and they do kinda have a look of freshly sandblasted or primer (dull silver)....so much for the "Trailer Queen" look (I hope)

the can said...Silver Candy Apple Primer....the farmer I got it from at a yard sale said it was pre-war...only question...which war?

the bottom (and interior) was painted and sealed without the clearcoat...just to blow some color on it.... and they do kinda have a look of freshly sandblasted or primer (dull silver)....so much for the "Trailer Queen" look (I hope)

I'll just say the inside of your 1/4's look better than the outside of mine:toothy9:

ya got me...sorry bout that....I've been told I'm a bit of a .......smart ***....but I'm just havin' fun

these shots are the last at my buddy,Bouts,..body shop (Boutwell Collision)....what can I say...he has let me work/store/ect this project all while I was in WV (around 5 years).He also mentored/instructed me on the fine art of sanding body filler/grinding weld/percision panel alaignment/ect.Mark is a very good and very old friend and fellow "hot rodder" although he always been pretty much a slow Chevy guy. But my hats off to him....everyone could use a buddy like Mark....

again...I never said he was cheap,but he's good...and good costs

Next pics are in my shop...not goin' anywhere till its on it's own power

Please take note of Marks '55 Chevy Nomad in background.....been under construction since early 70's....told you those Chevy guys are slow..(hope he doesn't see this)

seat fitment photos are from when body was in primer.....since I filled the ash tray and radio opening...can anybody guess where the music will be coming from?

top of dash is a satin (flatter) finish....to keep down the glare on the windshield

Powdercoated steering column/painted dash/red Tuff wheel/red upholstry all match really well....not that into all that "color coridinated" stuff and all

-
Back