A body 8-3/4 axles

-

reddishdsb

Reaction score
How much power can stock A body 8-3/4 axles handle? Building a mild 440
duster and just wondering. I also have some c body axles I could have cut.

stock axles will handle 500 HP without a problem but over 550 it get to be a borderline item

How about if you redrill them for bigger bolt pattern, will this weaken them?

If done properly and the old holes filled in they should be just as strong

Doesent filling in the old holes make them weaker?? (you would not think so) but all the heat used in welding them up changes the metal properties making them brittle. I may be wrong so dont shoot the messenger. Just wanted someone here to set me straight and others on this topic...... :toothy7:

c-bodys are the same just different?? how's that for hElP...anyway if you get rid of the a-body axles ..i'll take'em if its a fair price??

I consdiered getting some C-bod axles cut and splined when I built the rear for my Duster. A guy at a driveline shop I use told me it was not a good idea if you plan on making much power, because as Suregrip mentions, the heat created in the process will soften them up to some degree. It just depends on how good they are at doing it. But he said it was not uncommon for them to get complaints from people who had re-splined some axles that ended up getting twisted right off. So I decided to go with new Yukons.

I was told youkon makes aftermarket axles direct swap in to change
to big bolt pattern. cheaper than drilling and filling you can find them
on ebay

I purchased Moser axles when I stepped up to the 4.5 bolt pattern.

I first bought axles from yukon because they where cheeper, but i didnt make it out of the driveway before I blew the splines on them. Called them about it because I thought they didn't press on the green style bearing enough and that would have made the axlse not fully ingadge.

They said that was not possible, and than gave me some lie that they are having this problem with a few abodies that came with a factor option Eaton posi. so they refunded my money.

I have a friend that is a Moser dealer and he got me a set of 28" 4.5bolt axles with the green sealed bearings for around 400$. They are a little pricey, but quality stuff and a hell of alot stonger than the stock ones.

If you want to by a set of moser axles and never worry about them again look him up at WWW.fullboogie.net his name is Rick Tapp.

reddishdsb said:
How much power can stock A body 8-3/4 axles handle? Building a mild 440
duster and just wondering. I also have some c body axles I could have cut.

You might check behind the splines and see if they are turned down. If they are I don't think you can re-spline into (a) axels. The diameter is too small. I have an 8-3/4 from a (c) body and they can't be re-splined.
Moser can cut off and re-spline (cold process) for about $120.00 a pair on ones that have enough material.

Hope this helps

-
Back