A-Body 8 3/4 open gear 741 case

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
So I went to our clubs yearly junk yard run and found an 8 3/4 A-body rear end. Open gears and 741 case. I asked the owner what he wanted for it and he said $450.00! I replied OUCH! I know its the much sought after A-Body size, but it is the weaker 741 case AND open gear set.

Is that a fair price? I did not think it was, so I will wait a bit and try again, flash a couple hundred in the air and see if he bites. Otherwise I am still looking! I don't need the strongest or suregrip right now, just wanted to get something I can build up over time.

There is a 62 Lancer in the yard with a 8 3/4 741 case, but it has the tapered axles (crown nuts on the outside center of brake drum). Can these be retrofited to the standard axles and brakes? Might be the cheaper way!

Thanks for the idea's and all!

John B.

450.00 even for the weaker 741 case and open gears? I know it's supply and demand but anyone including me will be upgrading the case to a stronger one with suregrip!

The second I buy this thing another will come my way for cheaper, it's just the way that works!

John B.

You never know for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that you can but it for $450, and there will be guys on this site lining up to buy it.

The last one I had, I sold for $600, and the guy drove 200 miles to come get it from me.

man am i out of touch with prices,,450 for a rear needing rebuilt?? OUCH,,,and i wouldnt be concerned about the so called week 741 case,,,the 741 case still has a bigger pinion then the all mighty ford 9 inch,, a friend of mine ran a 741 case in a 340 4 speed dart with slicks 456 gears and beat the crap out of it,,,never had and issues with it,,,

Just to compare but I bought a A-body 8 3/4 last weekend. SMP 741 Suregrip, Has backing plates but no brakes. $300.00

And P.S. My dad runs a nice 440 "8 Pack" in this with a 741 and has never had any trouble.

Attachments

• DSCN0069_0001.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 248
A lot of people will pay more for a complete unit. There are brake parts that are non-wear items and unavailable new. If those pieces are missing, it can be a PITA to find everything needed to put together a complete, working set of brakes. It's sometimes cheaper to go to disc or big bolt pattern.

I would say that is about right for my area. It all has to do with availability. I sold a modified b-body 8.75 from a 66 Charger complete with new brakes and painted for that price and the guy was thrilled to have it.
Saw it on C-List a year later for $600 and it was gone the next day.

I guess I should count my blessings and buy the thing huh? I am just cheap I guess. After hearing ya'lls input I might go and get it next weekend, Maybe, still ain't told the wife. Not looking forward to that!

John B.

Oh I do plan to bargin with him, maybe he will go down A few bucks! Here's the thing I know that its been there a while in the huge pile of diffs and axles there in the yard. This place is quite big I would say 20 plus acres. So I did stash it and will go back in a few months and see if it's still there. This place has so much crap there is NO WAY they know what they really have, or don't for that matter! It's really sad because every junk yard owner I have ever run across is hard nosed and I do know they need to make a living, but would you pass up cash on the barrel head or lose a sale on price alone?

I don't really need the unit at this point, just one of those nice to have parts, and slowly rebuild it and have it ready, so when the 7 1/4 blows I can replace it and keep on Moparing!

John B.

Just picked up a complete 8 3/4 741 with a sure grip and 3:23 gears for 375.00 (drum to drum) out of a 69 dart 340 car. Sounds like I did ok even if I have to replace the axles to get the large bolt pattern to fit my 73 duster.

Oh I do plan to bargin with him, maybe he will go down A few bucks! Here's the thing I know that its been there a while in the huge pile of diffs and axles there in the yard. This place is quite big I would say 20 plus acres. So I did stash it and will go back in a few months and see if it's still there. This place has so much crap there is NO WAY they know what they really have, or don't for that matter! It's really sad because every junk yard owner I have ever run across is hard nosed and I do know they need to make a living, but would you pass up cash on the barrel head or lose a sale on price alone?

I don't really need the unit at this point, just one of those nice to have parts, and slowly rebuild it and have it ready, so when the 7 1/4 blows I can replace it and keep on Moparing!

John B.
Hard nosed? I would be nice when I offered a lower price,If you don't like the guy cash don't matter.And 450 is a good price,but you always hear of lower prices and higher.Good luck

If you're doing a restoration, and you want 4" bolt pattern, that price is not a bargain, but not out-of-line either.

If you're thinking 4.5" bolt pattern, forget about buying an A body rear end. You'll have the right width housing, with the right spring perches, but the axles and brakes will have to be replaced. Instead, consider a C body 8-3/4. Get the housing shortened and cut & respine axles. Call Moser about this before going down that road. There are potential pitfalls.

-
Back