A-body armrest - stripped threads in door’s sheet metal

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Need suggestions vs enlarged holes in door panel sheet metal which won’t hold the arm rest. I ordered the clips in the picture but, with panel removed, I don’t see any way to keep clips in place on the back side of the metal. Back side of door’s sheet metal is very difficult to reach.

Would it be feasible to tac weld a thin piece of metal (maybe a flattened base clip retainer)?

A complicating factor is that the screws come thru the armrest with an upward angle (see 3rd photo.

IMG_1612.jpeg

IMG_4166.jpeg

IMG_1617.jpeg

I might add that a larger screw might do the job for the forward hole but rear hole might be too big for this to work.

Need suggestions vs enlarged holes in door panel sheet metal which won’t hold the arm rest. I ordered the clips in the picture but, with panel removed, I don’t see any way to keep clips in place on the back side of the metal. Back side of door’s sheet metal is very difficult to reach.

Would it be feasible to tac weld a thin piece of metal (maybe a flattened base clip retainer)?

A complicating factor is that the screws come thru the armrest with an upward angle (see 3rd photo.

View attachment 1716243492

View attachment 1716243493

View attachment 1716243495

Straight foward fix if you are good with a Mig welder or have a friend who is.

1, Cut a slot with a mini grinder or even a Dremel tool just above the hole.

2. Put a large blade screwdriver in the slot you made with the grinder and spread the gap of the slot until the hole starts to close up to the size you need,

3. Weld up the slot you made and refinish or just use some touch up paint on it. Its hidden so doesn't really matter as long as the bare metal is covered.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
I guess I’m being slow. If I understand you correctly - I’m to cut a slot above (and not touching) the oversized hole. If I insert a large screwdriver in the new slot - am I to push straight down on the screwdriver to elongate the slot & force material down into the existing hole?

Along the same lines, cut a slot above the hole and insert a U or J speednut of the appropriate size, threads behind the sheetmetal.
1714437357882.png

Or if you don't want to cut a slot, just JBWeld a flat speednut to the back of the sheetmetal.
1714437470848.png

Or, really cheap and easy- take a 2" piece of wire (doesn't have to be very thick), stick it halfway into the hole and bend it flat (in half). It will now hold the screw.

If the metal around the hole is not completely worn away, you could take the window out so you can reach behind the panel and get a small bolt and nut with a flat washer on each side, put a box end wrench on the backside and tighten the front side until the washers flatten it.

I feel your pain on that one, as I delt with a couple those.
I have a mig, tools and even taps and dies.

So what did I do?
Stuck a paper clip half way through and bent it down then put the screws in.

I feel your pain on that one, as I delt with a couple those.
I have a mig, tools and even taps and dies.

So what did I do?
Stuck a paper clip half way through and bent it down then put the screws in.
@TrailBeast , You either have family in Oklahoma or you've spent time there...:rofl:

I guess I’m being slow. If I understand you correctly - I’m to cut a slot above (and not touching) the oversized hole. If I insert a large screwdriver in the new slot - am I to push straight down on the screwdriver to elongate the slot & force material down into the existing hole?
Exactly!

Very easy fix if you have access to a Mig welder.

What car are you working on?

67 dart

PXL_20230314_003907713~3.jpg

I can get you dimensions

Last edited:
Can you get back there with a dolly and hit the hole with a body hammer flat shrinking the hole?

Rivnuts! So easy to use, you can use a tool like a rivet gun but even simpler is the one in the picture, just load the rivnut in the collet, hold with a wrench and tighten with a drill or impact gun or even just a wrench and allen key, SO simple I keep a kit with several sizes on hand you can get on Amazon or any faster store.

Screenshot_20240429_215856_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_215912_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I think if he uses a 10-24 rivnut then a 10-24 machine screw maybe apply a bit of never seize or grease for a easy start, should work. And won't keep coming loose.

The screws go in at a steep angle up.

Screenshot_20240430-002829.png

The sheet metal is basically vertical. The rivinut would be basically vertical.

Won't work.

Can you get back there with a dolly and hit the hole with a body hammer flat shrinking the hole?
That's an old school trick. Did it often as a bodyman. I think a thread setter, then slid an awl or punch in the hole and tweak it down for the correct angle.

Rivnuts! So easy to use, you can use a tool like a rivet gun but even simpler is the one in the picture, just load the rivnut in the collet, hold with a wrench and tighten with a drill or impact gun or even just a wrench and allen key, SO simple I keep a kit with several sizes on hand you can get on Amazon or any faster store.

View attachment 1716243620

View attachment 1716243621
Unfortunately, the armrest base does not use a machine screw, and, the hole is at an angle. Welding /attaching a nut won't work either as it will lay flat .

Cutting and spreading the metal and then rewelding the slot takes minutes and works.

Last edited:

Just curious.

Do you have a pic of the complete door you can post showing all the holes in it?

What model is this door from?

So I looked into this further and the 1971 Duster did not have the square recess for the armrest clips like the 67-69 Cuda's

I didn't check the Dart so not sure about them.

Here's a pic of a 71 door frame and it doesn't have the recesses for the clips, just a hole.

Damm!! Pretty cheezy way to save a few cents!!

1714504370317.png

Heres a 68 Cuda door frame showing the slots for the clips.

1714504539212.png

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The car I’m working on is a 1971 Duster. I’m sure that one of these techniques will take care of my problem. If I use Super-Cuba’s method I may try to reinforce the cut with JB Weld since I don’t have access to a welder. If that doesn’t hold - I’ll have to find a welding shop to repair the cut. I included a picture showing most of the door.

IMG_4167.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not just cut out 2 rectangles the correct size and location for the clips you bought, (like in the photo of my post with the 67 dart door)

Simple, no welding, permanent, repairable by replacing the clips in the future.

So I looked into this further and the 1971 Duster did not have the square recess for the armrest clips like the 67-69 Cuda's

I didn't check the Dart so not sure about them.

Here's a pic of a 71 door frame and it doesn't have the recesses for the clips, just a hole.

Damm!! Pretty cheezy way to save a few cents!!

View attachment 1716243835

Heres a 68 Cuda door frame showing the slots for the clips.

View attachment 1716243836
Dude, how many doors do you have there??!!

Hi, my name is Super cuda...... and im a dooraholoic :poke: :thumbsup:

-
Back