A-Body MISERY LOVES Company

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Took the 67 to the muffler shop yesterday to have the guys adjust the new tails a little so the new resonators and tips fit nicely the first time......Tails had to go UP a bit in elevation to match the rear valance.......

SOoooooo, away he went with speed, fury and accuracy......this guy is a little known genius with a mig and pipe bender.......Got the suckers PERFECT.....

Driving the 2 miles back to my garage, I hear this "POOOOsh" sound....loud and quick, then it was gone......I braced myself for a wild ride from a supposed blowout, BUT nothing happened......I keep driving, a little slower (with my clenched hands now leaving permanent indentations in the hardwood steering wheel)......

I hit a little bump and I heard the rear tire hit the wheel opening in the back......No doubt, I'd heard it before......That's why I have Air-Shocks back there.....for an INSURANCE POLICY.....and if it was hittin', the shocks were the problem.

Got it back home, and sure enough, I'd blown out an air line........I crawled under the car and located the hole by adding air and listening.....I found a HOLE that had resulted from my GUYS at the muffler shop....ONE LITTLE stray bit of slag burned almost through I figure, then on the way home, POP........

So I call the wife and have her buy a new line kit.....I crawl under this morning bright and early and start running a new line.....a real pain since I'd taped the lines together at intervals.....I figured I'd save time and just change the bad line. Got it done, all was well with the world........then my son shows up to cut a bolt off on the rear frame for me (from a trailer hitch I designed for A-Bodies....It was hitting the shackle mount, and I didn't want to monkey.....just wanted it off).............He proceeds to cut the tips off the bolts so I can remove the hitch braces that were in my way.....Lots o' sparks from the cutting wheel, as you can imagine.........He finished the passenger rear, and we hear this stinking "Pooooooooooooooooosh" sound........

Apparently, the sparks were just enough to finish eroding the OTHER air line back by the rear valance.........

SOooooooooooooooooooo.........here we went again............

Misery LOVES company.

There is a good lesson we can all learn here...

Always buy an extra just in case.

Sorry to hear about your luck there Tom, but look on the bright side...

You now have 2 new lines!

Well to paraphrase Chuck Yeager, any equipment failure you walk away from is a good equipment failure... Also, both lines will be the same age. Even so, bogus deal, dude! Also good for you for just fixing it instead of going all crybaby on your (good) muffler shop.

My life in general. LOL It's refreshing to know I'm not alone here. Two new lines are a good thing. Thanks Tom.
Mike

I work with plastic air lines all day on trucks and let me tell you, a pressurized plastic line os like a magnet to welding slag!!! Pop, Pop, pop she goes.

Bummer for you.

I'm sorry but you have the same luck I do. You just shake your head and go fix it again.

At least it was holes in your air lines instead of in the gas tank ... could be worse!

Glad it worked out for you PastorTom. :-D

Yep, Story of my life.
Sometimes you are the dog, sometimes you are the fire hydrant......

-
Back