A Body Throttle Cable S.O.S.

-

illcuda65

Reaction score
So I am at the body shop to pick up the car today and POOF the throttle cable is frayed....I have a 65 plymouth barracuda that has been through a couple sets of throttle cables over the years- always used/worn parts fabbed up to work. I want to upgrade and make sure that I do not have this issue in the near future. I am a novice mechanic and do need everyones input so I can get the Cuda home a.s.a.p.
1) What does everyone recommend for a throttle cable replacement?- Lokar/Mancin- or a universal kit?
2) What size throttle cable- 24", 36" or other
3) If I went the Lokar route- do I need to get a bracket and spring kit as well?

Thanks,
Bryan

i like the lokar stuff myself...

2) What size throttle cable- 24", 36" or other- depends, the 24 may fit or you'll have to cut either to fit .
3) If I went the Lokar route- do I need to get a bracket and spring kit as well?- yes

Same here. I bought the 24 inch lokar cable and damn it's a nice piece.
I used a billet bracket from jegs that appears to be made by CSR. Same thing anyway.
24 inches should be fine.

I run the Lokar steel braided one, works great. It's custom fit for any length.

Same here. I bought the 24 inch lokar cable and damn it's a nice piece.
I used a billet bracket from jegs that appears to be made by CSR. Same thing anyway.
24 inches should be fine.

have link to the bracket? i would like to see it.

i like the lokar stuff myself...

2) What size throttle cable- 24", 36" or other- depends, the 24 may fit or you'll have to cut either to fit .
3) If I went the Lokar route- do I need to get a bracket and spring kit as well?- yes
X2 I have both throttle cable and tranny kick down both Lokar, thier stuff is TOP NOTCH, I can't imagine why anyone (unless they are doing a total OEM restro) would want that mickey mouse OEM kickdown linkage from MA Mopar. JMO

I used a Mancini OE style throttle cable with a lokar kickdown and bracket. The pedal "ball" end on the lokar cable I used to use is disconcertingly small and binds on my pedal. Also, the OE cable fits the firewall perfectly while the lokar had to make a sharper bend and rubbed a groove in the aluminum cable end. Maybe just a 65 cuda issue

-
Back