A/C Clutch cycling

-

rednesss

Reaction score
So I have a 1968 Barracuda with factory air, but I've transplanted a Sanden 508 style pump in place of the RV2 compressor, everything else is stock. When I have the push button controls on the inside set to the "off" position, is it normal for the compressor to still cycle on and off??? Mine does, but I would have thought that everything would be off in the off position.

Anyone know if this is normal?

Thanks

No.
You must have power to it with the switch off somehow.

Also, cycling on and off can be normal, or it can be an indication of low coolant.
But that wasn't your question. :)

Well out comes the Fluke. I wonder if the push button controls are the culprit? Maybe when I'm pushing off, the electrical contacts aren't being opened inside the plastic controller.

Not a picture of mine, just for illustrative purposes.

attachment.php

Well out comes the Fluke. I wonder if the push button controls are the culprit? Maybe when I'm pushing off, the electrical contacts aren't being opened inside the plastic controller.

Not a picture of mine, just for illustrative purposes.

attachment.php

A test light at the compressor with the switch off will tell you, but we already know what that will show.
At the switch is a good call though.
Those switches get pretty beat up inside and I have had to repair a couple already that wouldn't move at all.
They came out nice and smooth after.

There is a sticky at the top of the electrical section on rebuilding these controls. BTW, the right-most, large pair of electrical contacts in the back are for the blower and should be on in any position except off. The center connections in the back are for the AC I do believe. Yeah, these get beat up, the grease gets dry and the internal sliders don't move, and the contacts get bad.

-
Back