A/C Compressor

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a different name for the different types of compressors, but I'll try to describe the best I can.

I have a 383 out of a 1968 Newport that had AC, I'm putting this engine into a 1985 Ram with AC. First off I want to relocate the compressor to where the Power steering pump was (Ram has manual steering) so I'll need to make custom brackets anyways.

So what type of AC compressor is better. The old one that was on the 1968 Newport or a more modern type that would of been on the 1985 Ram originally?

Is there any source for custom lines?

1968 Newport type:
AC-14-2128C-700-Map.jpg

1985 Ram type:
getimage.php

Here goes. In my opinion, I would not use either. The 1st compressor in your pictures, is called an RV-2. It was a good compressor in it's day, but heavy and has a "odd firing order", like a Harley bike, which causes vibration.
The second compressor is the C171, or A 590, I forget which (having a senior moment). These are getting hard to find, in good condition. There are Chinese copies, but they are poor quality.
Since you are going to need custom brackets, anyway, I would use the Sanden style SD-709 / SD7H15, or Sanden style SD-508 / SD5H14.
These are available new real Sanden, or new Chinese copy cat. The Chinese versions are actually good quality, and less money. As for hoses, any good A/C shop, can make whatever you need. Make a winter trip to Florida, and I can make the hoses for you :) .
I would also upgrade the condenser to the new parrallel flow style, will make a big difference

The V twin is a Chrysler V2 compressor. I think the other is a Sanden. It's either that or a Nippondenso. The two look very similar. Most people consider the Sanden/Nippondenso an upgrade, but I don't. They both have their pros and cons. The RV2 is a lot heavier, but it's extremely durable. The other is more compact and lighter. They will both do a fine job at cooling. If you have the room, run the RV2. If not, run the little one.

Charrlie, can you school me a little more in the differences in condensers?
Thanks,
C

Most classic car modders use a Sanden. You can get brackets to fit a 383 at Bouchillon Performance and others. Several sizes of Sandens, w/ differing lengths, so see which fits the brackets. I have seen H13 ("shorty"), H14, & H15 in increasing size. The H13 should be OK for PA. SD7 (7 pistons) is better & newer than SD5. You can get various backs w/ ports. Most modder's use one w/ #6 & #8 side O-ring fittings. The H numbers are R-134 and 508 & 708 numbers R-12. You can use either if you drain the oil and use proper. I would use PAO 68 oil with any refrigerant today. R-134A is soon to be outlawed.

-
Back