A/C kits?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
What complete A/C kits are available? Who has installed one, and what do you think about it? What did you do to eliminate the fresh air opening in the floor of the cowl?

Was your car built as factory A/C or non A/C?

You can check with;
Classic Auto Air www.classicautpair.com

or Hot Rod Air: www.hotrodair.com

or Vintage Air: www.vintageair.com

All those companys build universal fit evaporators. Classic has a "Perfect Fit" series that are designed to look like OEM's. They use your stock firewall heater hose holes to run the A/C lines thru, then you'll need to cut two more holes for the heater lines. Others will surely post that have usued these systems.

John

Originally an A/C car. Want to ditch the under-dash box and possibly close off the fresh air hole in the cowl (leaking).

I installed a a/c system from classic Auto Air. Works great. My system was from the firewall (engine well) out. The do have complete systems from under the dash out. When I got my 67 Dart the compressor was destroyed inside. I went with a kit I bought for my A body. It is much more efficient then the
older compressor and hoses. I kept my liquid hose and made a little bend in it to fit the new system.
Dave

I pulled all the fresh air pieces out and capped the holes with sheet metal and silicon, no air and NO WATER, and when I start the body work the outside cowl, "also known as the interior water supply" will be closed off as well.

BW,
if you,weld in new sheet metal in place of the leaf input grill, beware of oil canning, I just played hell with that mod.
Andrew

cowl 5.jpg

oil canning is when stress causes the metal to pucker like the top of a canning lid. I tried two times to weld a new panel in and had to use a thicker metal (16Ga) the third and final time.
Andrew

Mine was done with a Tig welder.....easier to control the heat. I didn't attempt mine myself as I would have made a mess of it. Helps to know a pro in my case.

I cut out all the extra metal under the dash, probably 20lbs of it. Mounted a Vintage air unit to a cage bar. This is an older pic, things have changed under here, but the air unit is the same

100_1225.JPG

-
Back