A/C Options.... what should I do?

-

streetdak

Reaction score
I recently just got finished on swapping a 5.9 EFI Magnum into my 73 from a 98 Jeep GC. Now I'm looking into what I should do for the A/C system.

The Compressor from the jeep is on the motor right now, just not being used. And my 73 was originally a a/c equipped car.

So I have:
from the 73 - All A/C Parts, condensor, hoses, dryer, and so forth

From the Jeep - Also all the parts minus the hoses

Because I'm not a a/c expert in any shape or form, what would be the best way to get the a/c hooked up in my car? I could either use the stock dart's under dash setup, and have custom hoses made, or I think in theory I could remove the dart's under dash stuff, and put the jeep's under dash unit, and use stock jeep a/c hoses.

2 things to note, I saw the former owner of my car at a swap meet, and he said he drove the car home when he bought it and the air was working great!

And Badass71 was able to use the stock a/c underbox from his donor ram only having to cut and make a plate for the firewall

Im worried about how hard it would be to get working due to the wiring of the a/c controls. But again, I'm not up to par on a/c stuff. Anyone got any ideas?

I plan on using the stock A/C box and the RAM everything else on my 74'

If it were me I would go the easiest route possible...and if satisfied with the results (is it cold enough?) leave it. So I would just have hoses made to go from the Jeep compressor to the Darts equipment. Last a/c system I put together I used a universal type of condenser, I was told by several a/c guys in AZ that 134 likes bigger tubes and more gentle bends in things. I also put a small Spal fan on the condenser to help out when at low speeds. It worked pretty well, the vent temperature on that little Ranger was in the high 20's-low 30's with an ambient air temperature on the 112* range. I also added a high pressure cut out switch to avoid a disaster as 134 runs at a higher pressure. Of course this was not done until after the only factory a/c hose I was using exploded in the middle of summer once. Let loose with enough force to put a small outward dent on the hood of the truck lol......

I'm fixing to do the same on my Magnum Mill'd Dart. I'm just going to use the stock '72 evaporator with custom hoses, all else is Magnum era truck stuff.

cool! Thanks for the help, I think that's what I'm going to do also. I'm going to use all the jeep hoses, condenser and the dart's evap. Will have custom hoses made, hopefully it wont be too expensive!

Check around with your local parts stores that make hoses. Ours had everything to make a set. Cost was well under $150 . Fact it may have been less than $100. You (They) may even be able to just change the fittings from the Jeep hoses to adapt to your firewall fittings. You may just luck out.

A place as big as "near Houson" should have a / some hydraulic hose outfits. Many of these make custom hoses, and can rework or make new AC hoses

A place as big as "near Houson" should have a / some hydraulic hose outfits. Many of these make custom hoses, and can rework or make new AC hoses

I know in AZ damn near every auto part store, not talking Pep Boys kinda places, makes A/C hoses.....

there is a awesome place in Katy, which is only a 20 min drive for me. I want to drive the car over there after I buy the hoses and see if they can just make fittings for the evaporator to the stock jeep hoses. Wish me luck, it will be a little while but i'll update everyone on the progress

Do you have any of the old hoses? (For the original "ends")

I do have all the original hoses, what are you thinking for those? Reference or I can use them in any way?

Also, for an Update, I went to the boneyard and picked up hoses, compressor, and condenser from a 2000 ram. Now question is, the hose from the evap core to the condenser is a hard aluminum line, and it needs to be trimmed. Can I just cut the line and hose clamp a soft line to it? I'm not so sure if thats going to work. I still need to buy a dryer, and then figure out the adaptation to the old evap core.

If some/ all of the ends are in good shape you MAY be able to cut off the hose connection and re-use the ends. We used to do this with power steering, which were steel, at least back then

We'd either braze an SAE fitting onto the end of the cut-off hose and use a hydraulic hose end, or, later, Weatherhead (and others) came out with special "compression" hose ends just for that purpose

This for example:

DV_WebLarge_P_6184.jpg

in the context of a PS hose, is a 3/8 two braid crimp on hose end with a 3/8" compression fitting. You just "hack off" the old PS hose end, and tighten this down on the bare end.

I'm using this as an example, but I would think any big hose shop "has done this" LOL

-
Back