A few questions

-

Reaction score
My car: 71 Swinger

I found a V-8 K frame, its in a 74, engine is still in the way but its there.

I may put my 340 in this swinger, Ive been told that shumacker makes a conversion kit so that I can retain my slant K frame, havent looked into it at all.

Should I get the V-8 K-frame and just be done with it? Why, whats the benefit?

Also I was told that the steering set-up is better on the 74? Is that true and what makes it better? Unfortunately someone already robbed the disk brake stuff.

8 3/4 rear I can just forget about I guess cause of prices gone stupid, is there something else that is comparable that I could look out for? Id like a posi cough cough I mean limited slip :) with a decent gear, not willing to spend 1500 + dollars though.

Thanks

Last edited:
Boy are you in trouble....
You said posi....
My next choice would be 8-1/4” with a Sure Grip.
Generic name is limited slip.

My car: 71 Swinger

I found a V-8 K frame, its in a 74, engine is still in the way but its there.

I may put my 340 in this swinger, Ive been told that shumacker makes a conversion kit so that I can retain my slant K frame, havent looked into it at all.

Should I get the V-8 K-frame and just be done with it? Why, whats the benefit?

Also I was told that the steering set-up is better on the 74? Is that true and what makes it better? Unfortunately someone already robbed the disk brake stuff.

8 3/4 rear I can just forget about I guess cause of prices gone stupid, is there something else that is comparable that I could look out for? Id like a posi cough cough I mean limited slip :) with a decent gear, not willing to spend 1500 + dollars though.

Thanks
The V8 k-frame is easier to work with and already designed for the engine you intend to drop in. I would go with it as a first choice.

As far as the rear, it depends on what you can find. A good 8.75 sure-grip can be had for far less than $1500. There are also the Jeep 8.25 rears to consider that come with rear disc brakes.

Brandon where? We have a Brandon in Manitoba.
I have a 73K in the rafters, and I bet I could scare up everything you need to bolt your 340 into a 72, including the steering and brakes. Shipping into the states wouldn't be cheap tho.

The V8 k-frame is easier to work with and already designed for the engine you intend to drop in. I would go with it as a first choice.

As far as the rear, it depends on what you can find. A good 8.75 sure-grip can be had for far less than $1500. There are also the Jeep 8.25 rears to consider that come with rear disc brakes.
I am going to go after it this A.M then,

Can you point me in the direction of a good 8 3/4 suregrip for less than 1500 dollars?

Hopefully that dosent mean 1499.99.

Maybe its just my area but I havent seen anything reasonably priced.

Brandon where? We have a Brandon in Manitoba.
I have a 73K in the rafters, and I bet I could scare up everything you need to bolt your 340 into a 72, including the steering and brakes. Shipping into the states wouldn't be cheap tho.

I am in Fl. and I am sure shipping would be a deal breaker but thanks

I have to ask if the donor car is wrecked hard in the front end. A few have put time and effort in cleaning, painting, etc... only to find the K warped/spread, bolt holes don't line up.
The later steering linkage isn't really better, just different in how the pitman and idler attach to center link. You now have grease fittings to the road. Later has nuts and cotter pins to the road.
The shorter fatter stabilizer bar routed though the center of the later K is definitely better but I think that cut away K has to be a bit weaker/easier tweaked.

-
Back