A general restoration question

-

ncarter124

Reaction score
Hey all - I purchased a '66 Dart GT a couple years ago and am getting started on the restoration finally.

My question is this - I purchased this car as an "in progress" restoration, in that somebody had started and didn't finish. For all intents and purposes and to save time, just assume in your mind the interior is gutted, dash wiring is out, and the wiring to the rear panel (tail lights, etc) is out of it. With that being said, does anyone know of a good way to source fasteners for this? I am going to have to put the bucket seats, console, dash, etc back in and am just confused as to how I will source the correct screws, nuts, bolts, etc for all of it. I am wondering if they sell kits or what. I searched but didn't see a lot. Thanks in advance!

In terms of screws, I bought an interior screw kit from Classic Industries. The set is designed to replace all the screws that you would normally "see". So if it is a stainless or chrome screw, it will be in the set. Nicely labeled and easy to use. If it is a bolt or other type of fastener that you don't "see", i.e. the bolts that hold the bottom of the dash to the kick panel area, I see those kits listed on eBay and other sites. Good luck and if it isn't a factory correct restoration you can buy fasteners cheap buy the pound at places like tractor supply.

In terms of screws, I bought an interior screw kit from Classic Industries. The set is designed to replace all the screws that you would normally "see". So if it is a stainless or chrome screw, it will be in the set. Nicely labeled and easy to use. If it is a bolt or other type of fastener that you don't "see", i.e. the bolts that hold the bottom of the dash to the kick panel area, I see those kits listed on eBay and other sites. Good luck and if it isn't a factory correct restoration you can buy fasteners cheap buy the pound at places like tractor supply.
Perfect - That is exactly what I was needing. I'll check out Classic Industries for sure, just trying to get it as close to factory correct as I can. Not going for a concourse or rotisserie job but I want it to be nice. Thanks!

Found it, $47.99. It's for a sedan but that's fine, it will contain 90% of what I need and will probably have some extras that will come in handy. I honestly didn't see them selling such a thing but sure enough they do. I need to check my catalog closer next time. :)

For cheap bastards (me), Harbor Freight sells a stainless screw assortment (flat-head, round-head, ...) which look "close enough" for most trim. I always buy on sale (~$5). Nuts and bolts w/ captive washers are rare in hardware stores. I bought a few boxes on ebay, for inner fenders and such.

Hey all - I purchased a '66 Dart GT a couple years ago and am getting started on the restoration finally.

My question is this - I purchased this car as an "in progress" restoration, in that somebody had started and didn't finish. For all intents and purposes and to save time, just assume in your mind the interior is gutted, dash wiring is out, and the wiring to the rear panel (tail lights, etc) is out of it. With that being said, does anyone know of a good way to source fasteners for this? I am going to have to put the bucket seats, console, dash, etc back in and am just confused as to how I will source the correct screws, nuts, bolts, etc for all of it. I am wondering if they sell kits or what. I searched but didn't see a lot. Thanks in advance!

try Mr G's. that is where I got a set of screws for the 64 I was building for my buddy. I still had to find the bezel screws but the rest was pretty good .
Mr. G's Enterprises - Screw Kits

Thanks everyone! Holy crap, Mr. G's it is! A tad more but exactly what I need (coupe vs. 4-dr) and has way more pieces. PERFECT!

I'll also be sure to hit up R/T Specialties too, and Harbor Freight for all of those out of sight fasteners. I am not 'cheap' per se but I also won't just throw money away if I can help it. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Holy crap, Mr. G's it is! A tad more but exactly what I need (coupe vs. 4-dr) and has way more pieces. PERFECT!

I'll also be sure to hit up R/T Specialties too, and Harbor Freight for all of those out of sight fasteners. I am not 'cheap' per se but I also won't just throw money away if I can help it. :)
Have some good luck on your mission, glad to see there're other sources out there for you.

Can't go wrong with the bulk screw kits referenced above. You can get them for the interior as well as the exterior of the car. R/T Specialties is good for a lot of obscure small parts, as is 521 Restorations. Classic Industries and Year One will have the bulk kits you are looking for.

-
Back