a good sealer that resists gas?

-

tooslow

Reaction score
my sh@$ ebay cheap gas tank leaks a little around the sending unit. i am tired of messing with it and going to a fuel cell.
ii would like to back up the gasket with sealer and need a rec?
55F. tommorrow and I am putting 6 gallons in and going for a drive.

no time for fuel cell before then

thanks
been a long winter!

Some guys have made there own gaskets out of thicker gasket material.
Not a big fan of sealers in the gas system.
It is important to get the sending ring completely tight.
Always use a sending unit tool,or brass punch when working on the sending ring.

if you saved the old ring use that, it usually thicker than the ones supplied with the tank. Theres still salt and crud on the street here in Aurora.

Before you do any of that......The tabs on almost all the senders I've seen are not "bent" enough. Look at the lock ring and you'll understand. If you tweek those little tabs so that they tighten down against the seal more when you twist the tab in, that will fix it.

Your right and i will give it another shot! Pick up some thicker gasket material and make a tool to get it tight!!

Most (99%, there has to be one that doesnt) modern aircraft have sealant in their fuel cells. That sealant when applied properly will last 30+ years. I'll try to find something close tommorow that you could buy from a store or off the internet. May be too late since you're going to replace with fuel cell, but i'll look anyways.

The stuff we have at work is all pre-mix so I could'nt send n e to you that would still be workable by the time you got it. Would "kick-off" inside the UPS truck and would start a fire lol.

Bad Shrimp

I always wet the gaskets with Hylomar by Permatex. A couple of years ago, Hylomar was sold, now there is Hylomar HP, which I believe is an acetone base. You wipe some on (like blue, tacky toothpaste), let it out-gas (acetone evaporate), then install. It never dries, always tacky, helps to reseal, reseal, reseal reused, reused reused gaskets.

X2 on tightening the tabs with good TOOL! not the hammer, screwdriver method!!!!

Thanks, I forgot when i posted the thread that you guy's would know exactly what i am working with. We have exactly the same hobby this isn't H.A,M.B
I did not have the ring centered properly. I used a brass drift originally and knockedit into and out of position. Seems like a chincey set-up for how critical it is?? But it must be a good one or Mopar would have been out of bus a long time ago
I used the rec. Permatex for added assurance just a little

58F today and this afternoon I am leaving early with MOPAR feaver!!!!!
Taking my car 30 miles down the highway and I Calibrate my new COOL speedometer
Life is worth Living!!! I am so excited the car screams(Gear Drive)

-
Back