A little carnage for you!

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got this engine given to me a couple years ago. It was locked up tight and I saw some damage where something had come out the side of the pan! I decided to have a look and this is what I found. Remember this was a van motor that blew up on the highway supposedly.
20191219_201928.jpg
20191219_201935.jpg
20191219_201953.jpg

And maybe this is what caused it! Notice no hex on the shaft!
20191219_203016.jpg

Cley

Looks like the block might make it.

That crankshaft journal does not look oil starved, just really hammered or beat up. My guess is something broke and debris got into the oil pump, then the tip broke off the intermediate shaft because the camshaft was still twisting it.
Can you take apart the oil pump? I know it doesn't matter, but I am intrigued.

Cley, if you need a crank I have cranks. I only have fords and chevs that look like THAT!

I got this engine given to me a couple years ago. It was locked up tight and I saw some damage where something had come out the side of the pan! I decided to have a look and this is what I found. Remember this was a van motor that blew up on the highway supposedly.
View attachment 1715440140 View attachment 1715440141 View attachment 1715440142
And maybe this is what caused it! Notice no hex on the shaft!
View attachment 1715440143

Cley
NICE looks like some one was racing with 90wt gear oil

Its pretty gross all around in there. When I have time I'll pull it apart the rest of the way. I will save the block and If I do anything with it I'll make a stroker out of it. I have a couple engines ahead of it though. Not too sure why I even pulled it apart. Just curious I guess. I should have been cleaning and prepping the 360 I am actually building but I have a hard time staying on track!

Cley

Here's another one for you. Bone stock 318, cast crank snapped right in half. No other damage found in engine. All the bearings were good and it spun over nice.

Brokecrank.jpg

-
Back