A little lecture on aftermarket axle rear covers

-
IMHO

The temp data is valid, but the visual "data" is not. if they had done the same with their cover and the factory cover then some comparisons could be made

They could have 3D printed covers in clear material.

Yeah, that visual test is a joke. How did that clear cover replicate the original one they machined? It sure doesn't look similar in shape to me. Why didn't they take it one step further and make a clear version of theirs to prove how well it redirects the oil rather than just talk about it? And is a 15* temp different that big of a deal??? Marketing hype if you ask me, though admittedly I don't own a tow rig.

All they did is change the cover and temps went up 15 degrees, ans that’s OK with you guys? That’s awful!

it’s a great video that exposes the BS those aftermarket covers are.

Read this backwards and see how it makes you feel:
We know the stock covers work better because it drops the temps 15 degrees compared to the aftermarket cover.

Last edited:
All they did is change the cover and temps went up 15 degrees, ans that’s OK with you guys? That’s awful
Did we watch the same video?

Screenshot_20230224-134402.png

The visual reminded me of those Lucas foam-up-your-oil additive crank displays that used to be on parts counters.

It was interesting to see the gears rotate and the oil be pulled aroundd on the ring gear.

I do agree with his fire hose analogy, same thing happens with air and radiator shrouds.

Wow! That is weird. I was surfing boob tube and watched that video tonight before dinner. Guess I was not the only one.

Note1: yes, why didn’t they do theirs?
Note 2: if no fluid is getting to the pinion bearing as he claims then the unit would lock up.
Note3: air in the oil is expected as the ring gear introduces air with the cupping of the gear.

Note 2 ^^^. Ball & roller brgs can & do survive on minimal lubrication. Think front wheel brgs, U joint rollers, alt brgs, etc.

Seems like some sound theory to me. Gale Banks has always been a legend genius.

Seems like some sound theory to me. Gale Banks has always been a legend genius
No argument that a curved back is better than a flat one. Just the assumptions he makes from the imagery if the clear flat cover

-
Back