A Little of What I Do (Car Related, Long Read)

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
So, I figured since I'm not on here too much (mostly on moparts) and I'm going to ask you guys a lot of questions this summer that I share a little about myself and what I do.

I'm currently a 3rd year mechanical engineering student who hopes to become an automotive engineer after he graduates (2-3 more years or so). When I'm not at school, I am usually interning at the gas company over here doing energy efficiency "stuff." However, most my time is taken by a club I joined a little over 1.5 years ago, SAE Mini-Baja. In this club we build and design a small off-roading vehicle and compete across the nation. Our school is number one in California. There are generally 3 competitions in North America and this year we decided to compete in Tennessee and Washington. In TN we scored 9th in the endurance race and 11th overall. In WA we picked up the pace and did a little bit of modifications and we ended up making it to design finals (first our school has ever done that), getting 5th in the endurance race, and getting 6th place overall.

This year I was a part of the drivetrain subsystem. I designed and built a safety cover and cooling system for our CVT to ensure no mud gets in it and no one harms themselves on the rotating mass. I also worked quite a bit with carbon fiber, making molds and panels for them. I'd say I'm experienced at it, but not a professional.

Here are pictures from our competitions...

Tennessee:
http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/muumuu101/library/Baja Tennesee 2013

Washington:
http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/muumuu101/library/Baja Washington 2013

Next year I will be the drivetrain captain and plan on redesigning the gears in our transmission case as well as conducting some more CVT tuning.

Now to the more personal stuff. Ever since I saw the first F&F movie (10 years old) I had been hooked on the Charger. I used to watch car shows all the time just to see mopars. One day I saw a Wrecked to Riches episode where they did up a 68 Dart. I fell in love of the idea and concept of the Dart (small car, big motor) and as a high school graduation present my dad bought two 68 Darts for me (one was a project and the other a parts car). Unfortunately, due to the lack of skills, tools, and people to teach me (as well as an angry mother), the cars sat at my mechanics for about a year or so and I ended up selling them off (~3 years ago).

Fast forward to last summer I was able to convince my mom of buying another car since I joined the club and was genuinely learning. I searched long and hard for another mopar and luckily I found the right one. Another 68 Dart! However, this one was already running and presentable. I had made and saved up a lot of money and was able to buy this car without putting a big dent in my savings (gas company pays me a lot). I got to drive the Dart for a little part of summer until my mom's remarriage, when the MC pooped on me and I hit a tree rolling downhill. Luckily there was no damage to the tree or the Dart besides a couple of paint chips. I had to limp the car 20 miles home and since then the car has been inoperable.

I had a mopar friend from my Baja club who started helping me get the car back together in the fall; however, the more we tried to fix the car, the more we realized how the previous owner screwed up the car. There was everything from GM parts, to shady mounts, as well as the all time (mopart's favorite) PS coupler!

My friend and I were able to get most the work up until rewelding a new panel for the firewall. Then we both got busy with the club and the car was put on hold. Now I'm 2 weeks away from school finishing for the year and anxious to get back on my car. Only problem is my friend doesn't seem too enthused to work on my car and I'm still stuck in the situation where I don't have the tools or know-how to do this stuff. So I've got a lot of learning and tool buying to do this summer...

That's the story of MuuMuu. I hoped you've enjoyed learning a little something about me. :D

VERY good!! I can't remember when I've seen a worse (stock Mopar) steering coupler!!

VERY good!! I can't remember when I've seen a worse (stock Mopar) steering coupler!!

That is long gone. My friend and I rebuilt the steering column and replaced the coupler and shaft with a new one. I have the old one sitting on the cabinet in my garage.

Cool...You'll get there on the Dart. I got my Duster when I was 14 and its not totally done, but now that I actually have money (and some time), I'm getting there much more quickly.

Well I have to say, I'm a bit ahead of you in the path I'm taking...being 27, I have been working as a Mechanical Engineer in the auto industry for about 4 years now. I went to Kettering University and always had a co-op at a brake supplier. Funny thing is now I work at a different brake supplier after a brief stint at an automated sheet metal welding company. I have to say that while my job is not bad...its not super exciting either. Since C.Y.A. is the name of the game these days, there's a lot of paperwork involved on everything.

What do you really want to get into when you graduate?

Cool...You'll get there on the Dart. I got my Duster when I was 14 and its not totally done, but now that I actually have money (and some time), I'm getting there much more quickly.

Well I have to say, I'm a bit ahead of you in the path I'm taking...being 27, I have been working as a Mechanical Engineer in the auto industry for about 4 years now. I went to Kettering University and always had a co-op at a brake supplier. Funny thing is now I work at a different brake supplier after a brief stint at an automated sheet metal welding company. I have to say that while my job is not bad...its not super exciting either. Since C.Y.A. is the name of the game these days, there's a lot of paperwork involved on everything.

What do you really want to get into when you graduate?

Design or R&D. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm open to options. So far, I don't think I'm going to stay with the gas company when I graduate. The department I'm in focuses on making the larger customer (businesses) happy and trying to be energy efficient. We're the middle men and try to help organize the customer's projects when they add or remove natural gas equipment. It's more of a business internship than an engineering one, but it pays extremely well and I've already started my 401k. I've been there almost a year and I maybe did 1 heat transfer problem. The rest has been filling out forms, random paperwork, and visiting random customers. I've been trying to find another comparable internship that was closer (this one is 24 miles away in mediocre traffic) and more engineering based, but nothing is close by and they don't pay nearly as much where it would be worth it to take a pay cut.

Working for a major car manufacturer would be cool and ideal. I sometimes contemplate what it would be like living in Michigan and working under Chrysler; however, it's cold there... :toothy9: There's also quite a few car manufacturers here as well I could work with.

Yeah, I think you'll find that you don't do too much of what you learn in school at work. I don't think I've done a calculation that can't be easily handled by Microsoft Excel in years.

I know plenty of people who work @ Chrysler (and I work on Chrysler and Nissan projects @ a supplier). The thing that might be a surprise to you is that outside of body, chassis, and engine/transmission development, its completely done @ a supplier. The brakes, dashboards, infotainment, fuel injection, axles, steering, shocks, etc are all developed by suppliers in conjunction with the OEM.

Its only "cold" in MI about 5 months out of the year. It was over 80 yesterday. You get used to it, however, you won't be daily driving any darts around here, the road salt is killer in the winter time. You'd probably think its extremely cheap to live here (outside of car insurance) though.

Yeah, I think you'll find that you don't do too much of what you learn in school at work. I don't think I've done a calculation that can't be easily handled by Microsoft Excel in years.

I know plenty of people who work @ Chrysler (and I work on Chrysler and Nissan projects @ a supplier). The thing that might be a surprise to you is that outside of body, chassis, and engine/transmission development, its completely done @ a supplier. The brakes, dashboards, infotainment, fuel injection, axles, steering, shocks, etc are all developed by suppliers in conjunction with the OEM.

Its only "cold" in MI about 5 months out of the year. It was over 80 yesterday. You get used to it, however, you won't be daily driving any darts around here, the road salt is killer in the winter time. You'd probably think its extremely cheap to live here (outside of car insurance) though.

It'll be a lot to think about when the time comes in 2-3 years.

-
Back