A question about timing?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I'm putting together this 72 Dart with the 318 for Stephanie (my wife) and am considering the ignition timing for it.
It will have a bored but stock bottom end and a 340 style cam in it and HEI ignition with a stock 2 barrel intake and carb. (for now anyway)
She drives like pretty much any other car we would pass. :D

I want the intial timing up where we would like it (12-14), but I am thinking to leave the tighter springs and long mechanical curve due to her driving habits.
I will limit the mechanical to right at 22 degrees and add the vacuum advance.
(87 octane fuel)

Does this sound about right for her driving style, or would this engine still like the quicker curve if it gets babied around 99% of the time?

I was running a small cam in mine, actually turned out to be "a bit less" than the 340 stocker. It seemed to really like quick advance. The low end response was great.

I was running a small cam in mine, actually turned out to be "a bit less" than the 340 stocker. It seemed to really like quick advance. The low end response was great.

Hmmm.
Thank you.
I assumed if it was being putted around it might be better to leave it late.
Easy to change and try though. :D

I don't remember what the advance was "all in." I'm sure it was before 2500. For that combo, (I had) I would not have changed a thing. Also ran "the usual" ported vacuum advance

I don't remember what the advance was "all in." I'm sure it was before 2500. For that combo, (I had) I would not have changed a thing. Also ran "the usual" ported vacuum advance

Yep vac advance is a must.
I can just swap my distributor for hers and see how it feels when the time comes.

Mine is set at 12 initial, limited to 22 mechanical, all in at 2500 and ported vac advance for a grand total max of 52.

The hot timing curve is also for part throttle almost as much as for acceleration. I would go ahead and give it the max timing curve it can stand. It's good for complete fuel burn at part throttle.....which sounds like might be what she needs. I am sure she will like the other benefits, too. lol

I would shoot for around 20* initial and 16 mechanical in by 2500-3000.

The hot timing curve is also for part throttle almost as much as for acceleration. I would go ahead and give it the max timing curve it can stand. It's good for complete fuel burn at part throttle.....which sounds like might be what she needs. I am sure she will like the other benefits, too. lol

I would shoot for around 20* initial and 16 mechanical in by 2500-3000.

Del already answered the question dude. :D

Seriously though, I don't know if I can get 20 unless the cam is why.
If it is, are you sure it shouldn't be going in my car?:D
I keep getting this feeling that cam should go in my car with the Edelbrock 600 with dual plane intake and 1 5/8 tube headers, and not in an otherwise stock single piped two barrel motor. :twisted:

Del already answered. I am chopped liver. Ask him.

I bet it'd like a quick curve too. Being babied around is another reason to have it come in soon. It'll help the fuel mileage a bit too.

I bet it'd like a quick curve too. Being babied around is another reason to have it come in soon. It'll help the fuel mileage a bit too.

Yep, sounds like the thing to do.

What the heck, it's just one more thing right? :D

-
Back