A31 AXLE CODE IN 1976 DUSTER

-

demonsteve1971

FEATHERDUSTER1976
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Steve...I recently bought a 1976 Duster for a restore project....I have tried to decode the fender tag, particularly the axle code has me confused....A31 shows to be a high performance axle code....(I know probably for 69-71 vehicles) but what axle ratio is this code supposed to be for a 1976 6 cylinder 4-speed car

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Sorry.... Missed that in your post....

Yep..its a Feather Duster !
Aluminum trunk and hood sub structures... Aluminum bumper brackets...

Keep it stock!

Nice find and the last gasp for the A body line before the Aspen arrived! Looks like a solid car to work with and the aluminium bits are sought after by some folks.

Yep... 4sp OD aluminimium.... Probably a few other obscure changes as well.

Yep... 4sp OD aluminimium.... Probably a few other obscure changes as well.
Yes, it's a 4 speed overdrive......thanks for all your nice comments........I was lucky and found this car on Craigslist, bought for under 5000, I am the second legal owner (title-wise) FE5 red and parchment vinyl bench seat interior

The A31 is the option code for it being a Feather Duster..... The fuel saver pkg.
Rear gears are probably 2.76 or 2.9s

Thank you for your compliment, I currently have the engine and transmission out of the car, going to go over the engine, and reseal the transmission.......does anybody know what gear ratio an A31 axle is in this year car???
It is supposed to be a 2.94 with the slanty and the OD 833.

The automatic cars were 2.76.
Why not pull the diff cover and look at the ring gear? Every one I've ever seen has several numbers cast into them. Most Mopar sets have the ratio number mixed in with various other numbers like date of manufacture, part numbers, etc.

I want to thank everyone for all the helpful information and nice comments I will keep you updated on the restore.......

Nice find and the last gasp for the A body line before the Aspen arrived! Looks like a solid car to work with and the aluminium bits are sought after by some folks.
I once saw a feather duster/dart light at a U-pull wrecking yard in Lynnwood, Wash. Some dumbass had used the hood to bridge a small ditch or puddle next to the car, and it had been walked over by gawdknows how many people.

Hello everybody, it is indeed a 7 1/4 axle with a 2.94 ratio, found the axle tag....does anybody know what part number ring and pinion this is?......my cd rom (September 1975) does not list this in the part numbers...probably wasn't updated at that time...and also looking for the part number for the aluminum intake for this car......

-
Back