A500 vibrations

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
I've got a strange thing going on with my A500 trans; if I let go a little on the gas when it shiftes from 2:nd to 3:rd I get vibrations & they become a tiny bit worse when I click on the overdrive & then it stays even when I'm let the car go down slow. But(!) when I keep on axelirating throu the gears it runs smooth & is happy on highway use too.
I've been under & felt the outgoing shaft as much as I can while driveshaft still attached & it's tight as conctete.
Just did oil & filter change & driveshaft is well balanced + good u-joints.

Any ideas..?

Last edited:
I've got a strange thing going on with my A500 trans; if I let go a little on the gas when it shiftes from 2:nd to 3:rd I get vibrations & they become a tiny bit worse when I click on the overdrive & then it stays even when I'm let the car go down slow. But(!) when I keep on axelirating throu the gears it runs smooth & is happy on highway use too.
I've been under & felt the outgoing shaft as much as I can while driveshaft still attached & it's tight as conctete.
Just did oil & filter change & driveshaft is well balanced +good u-joints.

Any ideas..?
I've had that output shaft roller bearing give fits.

Ah, so it's a roller bearing, I thought it was a slide bearing more like a bushing, that sure explains it... So do I have to get to it from inside / front part of the overdrive section?

Ah, so it's a roller bearing, I thought it was a slide bearing more like a bushing, that sure explains it... So do I have to get to it from inside / front part of the overdrive section?
Where the yoke slides in, yes, there is a bushing. A little farther up the output is a roller bearing. Like on a 727. That is what I'm speaking of.

Okidoki, but can I get to the roller bearing from the rear?
The rear housing/O.D. unit has to come off. The front set of o.d. clutches have to come out of the unit first. Then there is a plate with two T25 torx screws that comes off
Under that is the snap ring that holds the rest of the unit into the housing. With the housing off, the bearing is snap ringed onto the rear of the unit.

These vibrations has been going on for quite some time now, the same week after week, but today when I was going to a friend it suddenly didn't matter at all how I treated the gas while the gears changed. & after a while came a growling sound around 60 m/h so I turned back home.
Now I wonder if someone has experianced the same but with a different cause compared to the rearest roller bearing..?

Anyway, while looking for a solution I googled & now I've seen videos of it done & there are quite a few things in the overdrive section, enough to make me go "OH NOOO!" kinda...
A500Trans Diagram - Kopia.jpg

Time flies when one's having fun but who wanna have a boring time..? So anyway, I only have almost 8 miles to work & I only go there 4 days a week so ofcourse I drive as I can take it easy & notice any changes...
& by now I'm sure the vibrations have to do with speed; when I take it easy it comes when it gets close for 3:rd gear to kick in & if I drive more like "todays stressy trafic" it starts when it goes into 3:rd gear.
So now I'm in doubt if it really is the bearing closest to the driveshaft... Any ideas?

-
Back