A518 transmission

-

aacwilliams

Reaction score
I got what I believe is a a518/ 46re transmission from a friend. He could not remember what it came out of, I am trying to buy a mount and would like to know the make and model of the truck it came out of. I can not find a look up table. The part# is k53008102 0363 6186. I appreciate any help. Thanks

post a pic of it if its a RE it will need a computer to make it work. you may need a RH witch don't need a computer to work.

I don't think it's computer controlled, the only wires are the neutral safety switch and what I believe is overdrive solenoid.

If it is a 46RE it is completely computer controlled. That's what the "E" stands for. "ELECTRONIC". It has to have the computer.....and several sensors to control it. I am not sure there is a way to get around any of it. You would essentially have to transplant the entire drive train into whatever you were working on.

Now, if it is the 46RH that is a whole different animal as the "H" means "HYDRAULIC" and that transmission is not computer controlled at all. You would need to figure out some kind of switching for the lockup converter, but that's no big deal.

All of the 2WD A500s and A518s I've seen had the same rear mount. It is completely diffeent than all other RWD Torqueflites which used the same rear mount (or at least same location on the trans case). The A500/A518 use a large triangular plate that bolts to the bottom. Scrounge one of these from a junkyard and weld up something to attach it to whatever you are using as a rear crossmember/mount support.

That is an RH series. My 93 Dakota with a 318 had that same trans. I believe if you order a mount to fit it you'll be fine as long as your installing it in a Ram/Dakota. If your trying to put this in an A-body it's not going to fit without reconstruction of the trans tunnel and crossmember cause the OD unit on the back end is too fat

Thanks for verifying that for me, I have already motified the crossmember and am going to modify the bracket. I was thinking about using the stock mount and changing the bracket to fit.

-
Back