A833 4-Speed on a 4-500hp 440: 18 or 23 Spline Necessary?

Which Case do I need?

• Cast Iron 23 Spline

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Aluminum 23 Spline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cast Iron 18 Spline

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Aluminum (was there any?) 18 Spline

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
-

ToMang07

Reaction score
Just need to be clear, I need to know what will work.

Will be going in a street car, nothing crazy but I eventually would like to get the motor into the 4-500hp range.

I know there are 2 different types of cases, aluminum and cast.

I know 23 Spline came on most everything except 440/Hemis, which had the 18 Spline.

Will a 23 Spline hold up to the abuse? And is there really that much of a difference between cast and aluminum cases?

I'm putting a 23 spline iron case behind my 383, maybe 450 hp, my buddy had one in a 4100lb c body with a 440, ran 13.0 with 3.73 gears...he beat the crap out of that thing and the trans never let go.

but if you have 18 spline trans money it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it

I'm putting a 23 spline iron case behind my 383, maybe 450 hp, my buddy had one in a 4100lb c body with a 440, ran 13.0 with 3.73 gears...he beat the crap out of that thing and the trans never let go.

but if you have 18 spline trans money it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it
That's just it, I don't, but I'll wait until I do if that's what needs to be done. But if a 23 spline will work, why spend 4x more?

I did alot of research on them before I got one, most said the 23 spline will be fine...

23 splines did come behind 383 and 440 cars also

I did alot of research on them before I got one, most said the 23 spline will be fine...

23 splines did come behind 383 and 440 cars also
They did not come behind a factory 440 or 426 Hemi car for that matter.
Hemi 4 speeds (18 spline) came behind 440, 440 six pack, and all Hemi cars in conjunction with a Dana 60 rear........

My advice is that if you plan to beat it to hell with sticky tires, you'll be sorry if you stay with the 23 spline transmission.
Think about it, the factory wouldn't have stuck a much more expensive transmission and rear ends in the 440 and better 4 speed cars along with the Dana 60.
It wasn't about hype and promotions, it was to cover their *** on warranties.
The 440 cars were an honest 350 + H.P. and the Hemi cars were about 450 to 475 real H.P. but, the torque is what the extra strength was needed for.

Back in the day, i ran a 440 powered '69 Super Bee with a 23 spline tranny (the original one) and a 3:54 Dana 60 with a good clutch and pretty good traction, (and i ran the hell out of it) and the transmission never gave me a problem. I estimate that it had a bit more than 375 H.P. by the mph it ran in the 1/4 but that was about it.

So really, it's up to you with the abuse you are really going to do to it, and if you are an animal with the way you treat your car!

JMHO as always,
Tom.

Last edited:
large input shaft bearing 23 spine , should be fine . but if you want a 18 spline it would be best . it has been years since i bought mine . but i bought one from a guy with a hemi cuda that was all alloy case 18 spline input and red strip gears . i have got a bud that has a 18 spline iron case it got the nascar input and red strip gear package . but its setup with a yoke output for the bearing over bushing . and yes the red paint can be removed , lol .
DSC03802.JPG

My bad, I was judging from my prospective witch is tubs are not "street car".
Well, to be fair, I wouldn't have tubbed it out myself. I would have put some wider wheels with appropriate backspacing on for some "wider" tires. But these suckers look good....and I don't think traction will be a problem...turning maybe, but not traction! lol

Was that a serious question ?

Yup. This is all new to me. I know the difference between LS/Open/Posi differentials. "Spool" is new to me, unless you're talking about turbos, lol

Yup. This is all new to me. I know the difference between LS/Open/Posi differentials. "Spool" is new to me, unless you're talking about turbos, lol
spool = no open, no sure grip just two gears and two axels. Direct drive to both axels at all times.

My experience - I have a 23 spline 4-500hp drag car and have never had a problem. An 18 spline is no guarantee--
Screenshot_2017-02-23-11-18-26.png

those rear tire cry 18 spline input , well a 23 spline won't hold you to those and hp to boot ! my buds 18 spline with red stripe gear package would fit your build .

those rear tire cry 18 spline input , well a 23 spline won't hold you to those and hp to boot ! my buds 18 spline with red stripe gear package would fit your build .
Well if he's giving the "buddy" discount send me his number! lol

-
Back