a904 slant six no reverse

-

72swinger619

Reaction score
Was driving about two years ago and reversebwent out ao I parked the car and just now have the money to get back on the road . Buying new wheels and tires already have the wheels did disc brake conversion on the front and have 8.25 rear end from a duster so I could step into some 15s.
My bet ia that it is the kicksown adjustment does this sound right if so any infovand pics on how to would be appreciated.
Side question doea 75 duster rear end and drive shaft bolt right into 72 dart swinger and yes I have spring plates from doner alsp

The throttle valve (what you called the kickdown) adjustment has absolutely nothing to do with reverse whatsoever. If all forward gears work properly the problem is either a non functioning (broken piston or blown seal) reverse band servo, the rear band is way out of adjustment or broken, or there's a problem in the valve body. A valve body problem causing no reverse is extremely rare, usually you find a broken rear servo. Fairly common problem on torqueflite's.

The 72 Dart rear will bolt right up since you have the shock plates. No idea on the driveshaft cause some A-bodies are 108" wheelbase and others are 111" wheelbase so they take a different length shaft. The trans. also has to be the same so the yoke on the driveshaft will mate up.

drain the trans, be ready for a mess. remove the pan, sort of the same thing, a mess. check out the low/reverse servo piston. like was said above there is going to be a problem there. like the snap ring is out of it's groove or the piston is sideways or the lip seal is broke or worn out.

Ok i will try to get to the partsbstore and get a gasket some fluid and a filter for while i have it open

If you haven't already got the gasket you might want to invest in one of the newer rubber steel core re-usable gaskets. Not only are they re-usable several times but they are very leak resistant and no sealant is required so if you ever have to drop the pan again it's a nice quick clean up. If the local parts store doesn't have them go to a Dodge dealer and tell them you want one for a 1988-1999 Dakota with the A500 trans. That's the OD version of the 904 and it takes the same gasket. They cost about $15 but their worth every penny. Good luck

Could be the rear band strut assy broke also, but I hope the servo just twisted and didn't hurt anything.

Anybody got a link to a sticky or have some pics on this? I have 73 duster w the /6-904 too. My reverse runs if im up on jackstands but wont pull when on the ground. Id like to see what it looks lime in there and where the reverse band is located.

Anybody got a link to a sticky or have some pics on this? I have 73 duster w the /6-904 too. My reverse runs if im up on jackstands but wont pull when on the ground. Id like to see what it looks lime in there and where the reverse band is located.

This video shows both band sections pretty well.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aci45eVwGJY"]Part 17. Front & Rear Band Strut Assembly with Rear Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back