A904 to 360

-

BLOW-DART

Reaction score
probably 20 other threads that hit on this topic but i know theres some experts in the crowds that would love to help me out!

i've got this 904 push button in my 64 barracuda which im fairly positive is original but anything is possible. its got a shift kit and a fancy pan. im getting ready to put a 360 in my car and know that i will need to make some changes to mate up the a904.

i have the b&m flex plate for the 360 that has the multiple holes already in it for the different trannys. so im fairly positive it will bolt right up to my 904 but i think i need to balance my torque converter because of the 360.

i have the tranny that used to be behind this 360 in an A100 van. its the short tail shaft (what i always thought was a 727 with a cable shift) not sure if that van tranny is actually a 727 or not. i have a balanced stall speed torque converter on that which im seeing if i can use.

i dont have the car apart so i cant just count the splines and try it but i do have the (727) and it has an input shaft with a smaller diameter set of splines and then a larger. the smaller tip has 19 splines and the larger secondary splines is 27. the bolt circle diameter on this converter from the (727) is 10" which raised some question because from some other forums i thought the 727 had an 11 1/8 bolt circle.

looking for some tips or answeres here if maybe the converter i have will work from what i think is an A100 727 or if i need to find an adapter for the 904 converter's center hub to mate up to the 360 crank.

part number on the torque converter from the 727 is tci-14110(i would love to use this cause i have it and its a stall speed and i dont have the money to just buy a new one!)

The 904 will physically bolt up to the cable 904. The 360 will have the large crank bore, the cable 904 TC will be a small snout. You will need the adapter ring to fit the small snout to the large bore crank.

Your stock 904 converter will be for a neutral balance engine, your 360 (if stock) will require an externally balanced converter and harmonic balancer. HOWEVER; you can use a neutral TC IF you get a balanced flexplate. TCI makes a balanced flexplates that will go from the 360 crank hub to a neutral bal. TC in a 904, OR 727 trans.

The cable TC needs to stay with the cable trans. Choice? either add weights to the orig. TC or get the adapter TCI flexplate.

-
Back