A904 vs A999

-

dodgeguy

dodgeguy
Reaction score
Maybe some one can shed some light on what make's an A999 heavier duty I've had very little luck finding info everyone keeps saying "Dodge? oh you meen a 904 tflite."
1st How do you tell the difference between the two ?
2nd Do A999 have a specific casting #?
3rd Are 1st, 2nd, and drive gear ratios the same? ( I've always thought the A999 to have a stiffer 1st gear but no meens to confirm it, my 74 dodge service manual doesn't tell me anything here.)
4th lastly the fender tag code just refers to having a Tflite were do you find out which one or is that just an engine pairing thing?
(E-58 LS29L4B If this helps any)

Any info or insights will be appreciated,Thanks!!!!:read2::read2:

The A999 is basically a A904 with a Lock Up Torque Converter.The simple way to tell the two apart is the Input Shafts.The A999 will have a machined nub on the end.The gear ratios are all the same.As far as the fender tag and casting numbers I don't have the answer to that.

The A999 has 5 clutches in the front drum and 4 clutches in the rear drum. The A904 has 3 clutches in both the front and rear drum. Not all A999 are a lock-up type transmission. The part number is found on the drivers side just above the pan. The following is years and part #'s for A999. 1974-75 #3681844, 1976-77#4028465, and 1978 #4028878. This info is from the direct connection chassis manual. Other than the part # you cannot physically tell a A904 from a A999. The factory only put A999's behind the 360 engine. Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Like the late 904/999.I read some years ago in one of the mopar magazines about the swap,and was planning on doing this first gears swap myself,if i can find the old magazine around here.Any of you guys done it?

Thanks! the first thing that raised my eyebrows about this was when I blew the rings in the 360 and just threw an old 318 I had in her for a little while. The 318 was tired had a bit of blowby and a near dead hole. When it went in, it seemed to have way more power than it did in it's previous Dart host. Rear gear ratios in both were pretty close (2.72 I think). Even Dusted a 5.0 rustang lite to lite (not much of a challenge).
So I started wondering about the tranny.

They did use the 998/999 in other applications. My '88 318 4bbl cop car has one... until it goes in my Duster, that is.
C

-
Back