Abody Steering column lock-out tube slides up and down?

-

Mopar King

Beginner / Need of Help
Reaction score
Good evening, i am going to try my best in describing my small issue with my steering column. Long story short i removed the steering column completely to sand and paint it one solid clean color. After installing everything back on the car i notice that the lock-out tube (the one that slides into the steering tube and is also protecting the actual steering rod) slides up and down. Am i missing something here? isnt the lock-out tube suppose to be well ...locked in place? OR is this normal OR do i need the lockout tube? Im only saying that is because i cut the tab off it years ago to install a floor shifter (auto) when i was a teenager on this forum.

I hate asking dumb questions like this but i don't have another mopar vehicle to compare it to; i haven't seen this problem with anyone else / no one mentions it(if its even a problem). I use to have a ton of Mopar cars but now the herd has shrunk to only 2 so i cant say let me go outside and push/pull on the tube to see if it slides in/out.

I have the steering column disassembled at the moment and ordering a few new parts

Steering column is from a 1972 Dodge demon / power steering / auto transmission

I'll try to shoot a few pictures tomorrow in case some guys/girls dont understand what i am saying. thanks Mopar Fam.

Lock out tube is a new one for me.

What you are describing is the column shift tube.

It, like the steering shaft has a inner and outer part that can slide past each other in an accident.

If the inner and outer tubes are sliding past each other easily, then the nylon that is supposed to separate them and keep them in place is broken or missing.

Do you need it? Technically no since you have floor shift, BUT you will need to address the lower bearing and duplicate the non column shift column. AND the upper end that would be attached to the collar that the shift handle used to be attached to will be floating. And you will need to address that.

IMHO

Your best bet is to start an ad and get a floor shift column for manual or power depending on your steering gear.

Lock out tube is a new one for me.

What you are describing is the column shift tube.

It, like the steering shaft has a inner and outer part that can slide past each other in an accident.

If the inner and outer tubes are sliding past each other easily, then the nylon that is supposed to separate them and keep them in place is broken or missing.

Do you need it? Technically no since you have floor shift, BUT you will need to address the lower bearing and duplicate the non column shift column. AND the upper end that would be attached to the collar that the shift handle used to be attached to will be floating. And you will need to address that.

IMHO

Your best bet is to start an ad and get a floor shift column for manual or power depending on your steering gear.
ok thanks yeah im not great at describing thanks but i can shoot some pictures just to leave it on here so the Mopar people know what the H. im talking about lol

I probably dont need the inner tube since that controls the column shifter (which the tab was cut years ago) and seems like it does nothing BUT i like hearing peoples advice and knowledge.

ill shoot a few pictures later

-
Back