about engine swap

-

glizvaliant

Reaction score
i am new to mopars so i have a question about an engine swap. i recently purchased a 72 valiant with a slant six and an auto trans. i would like to put a small block in it. i want a 340 cause i hear thats the way to go, whats advantages and disadvantages between a 340 and a 360. what exaclty do i have to get and do to do this swap? what tranny do i need and wheres a good place to look for parts..any info that u all could give me will really help, thanks alot....glenn

No real advantage of a 340 over a 360 other then less cubes and you'll pay much more for a 340 then a 360.

360's are plentiful and easy to find can build it up the same way. Only differences are the oilpans and the fact that the 360 is externally balanced where as the 340 up to 71' is internal balance the 72' 73' was external balance.

price out a 360 and a 340 and decide what you want both will proform great if built right

A 360 is really just a stroked 340. If you are rebuilding the engine a 360 built to the same level as a 340 will make more power at a more street friendly rpm. Since 340's are much harder to come by they cost more and the only real reason to seek one out is if you are trying to do a factory correct restoration.

340 = more power 360 = more torque the swap is made easier , if you use swaps made easy by sumacher , you will need a transmission for a smallblock.keep asking questions we will try to answer

Welcome from another 72 Valiant owner. I'm sure you'll get a lot of idea's about what options you have. This is a great site. There's all kinds of ways to go. For myself I go to swap meets, watch ebay and have a great friend that's a Mopar guy. 340's are pretty expensive around here so a 360 with a 904 out of a Newport was my choice. You need a 904 or 727 from a V8 because the six tranny won't bolt up. You either have to change the K-member or get a motor mount swap kit from TransDapt or Schumacher's. There's also upgrades to your torsion bars, front brakes and rearend. It's a great swap to do and you can go as cheap as you can (I'm tight) or high dollar or somewhere in the middle. Good luck and have fun.

7172 duster said:
340 = more power 360 = more torque

Not true! if both engines are identically built the 360 will make more power everywhere.

Don't ignore the 318. They are the most plentiful SB Mopar V8 and probably the cheapest to buy as a core. And as lot's of guys on here will tell you, they can make some decent power too.

If your anywhere near me, i have a 360 and some parts that I would give you cheap. I decided to go with a 340 due to a higher resale in my duster, but have started to part out the 360, still have the 78 short block. A 360 built to the same specs as a 340 will smoke it!!!!!!! PS IS YOUR car for sale?

-
Back