ac to non ac wiring

-

barty005

Reaction score
73 duster I've removed the original ac heater box fitted just a standard heater box.
So has anyone rewired the harness so it all works correctly electrical things aren't my thing hoping someone might have a diagram or can tell me which wires to use etc.

Service manuals and diagrams, free at MyMopar

I have looked there but nothing actually shows what from the ac wiring can be chopped and used without replacement of the whole loom. Try to avoid having to do that. Figured someone must have cut put new connectors on etc where needed and just use what was there already for the from ac to non ac conversion.

If it is like the earlier Mopars, all the wiring to the heat/AC control stays mostly the same. There are 2 functions in the control:
1) When you select HEAT, VENT or DEFROST, the control makes a connection internally that supplies power to the blower control; it is cut off when OFF is selected.
2) When A/C is selected, power is applied to the compression by a 2nd switch in the control. That is the only wire that you need/want to remove. I would just disconnect that wire from the back of the control; it is on a switch that looks 'piggybacked' on the back of the control.

If it is like the earlier Mopars, all the wiring to the heat/AC control stays mostly the same. There are 2 functions in the control:
1) When you select HEAT, VENT or DEFROST, the control makes a connection internally that supplies power to the blower control; it is cut off when OFF is selected.
2) When A/C is selected, power is applied to the compression by a 2nd switch in the control. That is the only wire that you need/want to remove. I would just disconnect that wire from the back of the control; it is on a switch that looks 'piggybacked' on the back of the control.

Seams to make sense to be honest the wife is the sparkie here 28 years in the New Zealand Air-force doing Avionics hence its not my thing one other question i had as none of it worked before im not sure it would look like the ac was a 3 speed fan looking at the resistor and the non ac a 2 speed would you fore see any problem swapping these to make it 3 speed as well the non ac switch seems to have 4 positions including off. Ant thoughts appreciated

Can any tell me what the 4th plug on the back of the fan switch is for actually number as 2
it sits between where the black wire (live feed ) and the dark and light green plugs are and is in phase with high speed fan plug and nothing else any ideas ????

Photo, description of plug shape, and wires colors

Have you looked in the service manual?

73 is the first year of the "new style" diagrams for A bodies. I think the index is page 8-154. There's a chart listed in the index that shows all connectors and their location. If you can't find it post back

You can download one here which will give you an electronic one. You can take screeshots if necessary and post photos of specific areas

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

There was a similar thread on this the other day

Cheers managed to finally find a diagram on there that had 4 wires running to the switch all others id found only had 3 should have it sorted now.

Photo, description of plug shape, and wires colors

Have you looked in the service manual?

73 is the first year of the "new style" diagrams for A bodies. I think the index is page 8-154. There's a chart listed in the index that shows all connectors and their location. If you can't find it post back

You can download one here which will give you an electronic one. You can take screeshots if necessary and post photos of specific areas

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

There was a similar thread on this the other day

-
Back