Accessory power outlet

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening folks,
One of the upgrades I have planned to do is to add a couple of accessory power outlets, for Ipod, GPS or whatever. I plan to hit a local junkyard and try to get a couple on the cheap.
How do they get wired in? Should I try and get more than just the outlet from the dash when I go the junkyard? My Dakota has one with a neat cap that says 12V 20Amp, a couple of those would look pretty good IMHO.
Thanks,
C

Monday morning bump,
thanks

Since our 97 Caravan has the same power outlet with the same cap, I was also thinking about the adding one to my 65 Dart wagon. I was going to wire it to the hot side of the ammeter (red wire) so the receptacle would be hot all the time and ready to use whether the car was running or not. That's the way factory clocks, power tops and rear power windows for wagons are wired. If the ammeter has been bypassed, it would have to be wired in differently.

Those outlets are the same cig lighter well found in everything else. The door is a good addition though. A coin or anything metal can cause a blown fuse or worse if dropped in there. The lighter well in my console is hot. The homemade cover has a B'cuda emblem on it that was once a hat pin.

Thanks for the replies. Don't know why I didn't check my '99 Dak FSM first. I looked at it tonight and it is a hot wire direct from the power block under the hood (forgot what they called it, the box full of fuses, relays, etc.). Now if I can figure out how to get a couple of these out of a dash I will be in good shape!
C

-
Back