ACRYLIC ENAMEL Vs. ACRYLIC URATHANE ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the two ? Is one easier to spray ? I need to get the paint for my engine compartment this week and have to decide. What was used on the car originally ?

:banghead: Enamel and take your time on each coat. :thumbup:

Better let a pro chim in AdamR :angel9:

Newer paint technology versus older paint technology. AU replaced AE. Acrylic urethane is the better paint but will cost a little more money. But is should last longer. I used to paint Ford Vans for an electrical contractor using Martin Senour Acrylic enamel but with what they called Catyl-Add which is basically a urethane catalyst. They looked good for work vans. I'd have to grab some of my old paint chip books, but in the late 60's they should have been using acrylic enamel, phasing out acrylic lacquer. If your color is a solid color, non-metallic, then just get a good single stage urethane and do the whole car in it, if it is metallic, then you can do the engine compartment and jambs with a single stage and then base/clear the car, or just stick with BC/CC for everything. What brands of paint does your local paint jobber carry???

Im just doing the engine compartment. The rest of the car has its original paint in good shape. (see my sig) Its Y-9 Tawny Gold Poly. The local jobber is a PPG dealer.

IM000960.jpg

do it with the urethane.... modern technology and things like brake fluid and oil, will have less of an effect onit...

Acrylic Urethane is the way to go, it is more durable, easier to spray, drys faster (ready for wet sanding in 24 hrs) and is easier to touch up. Down side is it costs more and since it's new technology not all old colors can be mixed accurately.

I did my Barracuda with Dupont Chroma, which is there top of the line acrlic urethane, seven years ago and it's still looking good. I used single stage in the engine compartment, trunk & jams and base/clear on the outside.

yep the ur is more durable for everyday, but it does have a slight yellowing over time. Also the older ACRYLIC ENAMEL can be finished to a much higher look just like the old ACRYLIC LAQUERs, but it is a bunch of work and will not last as long. Depends what you are after?

If you want to match your old paint and have a good section(under trunk lid), to get a good sample, there is technology to get that very close. It is a spectrum analyzer(very pricey computerized gizmo) that takes a "picture" of your paint and matches it to current paint codes. I have used one from Martin-Senor(NAPA) and other major paint suppliers might have them.
Paint:
As far as painting the engine compartment and jambs, and anywhere else that you are not wet sanding and buffing, properly applied urethane is the ticket. Single step application and its shiny.
Safety:
Wear a protective mask! This stuff can kill you! Get one that has removable cartridges with a rubber face that covers your mouth and nose completley. About $30.00 worth of safety so you can enjoy your Mopar later.

use a fresh air respirator if at any way possible.... icyosynates will kill you...

-
Back