Adding Bronze Bushings to Ductile Iron Rockers

-
I don't think anyone here is saying you cannot run them unbushed. That's for those who are arguing. All we're saying is, if you're building from the ground up, my God, this is 2024. We all know the benefits of bronze bushed rockers and if you don't, read up. Just because you did it for forty years forty years ago, doesn't mean there's not a better way now. If you're building from the ground up, why on Earth wouldn't you want to do it if you can afford to?

Oh I'm not throwing unbushed rockers on an engine. I see enough galling elsewhere to not want it on my personal stuff.
I just need to calculate if the rocker price tag plus, w5 head price, plus aggravation of dealing with the used market vs trying to get the RPMs I have to do the job I want with off the shelf new rockers.

Oh I'm not throwing unbushed rockers on an engine. I see enough galling elsewhere to not want it on my personal stuff.
I just need to calculate if the rocker price tag plus, w5 head price, plus aggravation of dealing with the used market vs trying to get the RPMs I have to do the job I want with off the shelf new rockers.
I wasn't callin you out, just those arguing against it. Yeah, millions have run fine unbushed. But it just doesn't make a lot of sense starting a ground floor build that may have a good bit of spring pressure to run unbushed rockers. ....well at least to me. IMO, bushings are superior to needle bearing rockers as they have a greater contact area and no needles to let go in the engine. Sounds like you got a good handle on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. If I had a set of W5 heads sitting on my desk it might be easier to just do it. I really don't understand the lack of support for w2/w5 heads or why someone isn't making new versions of those heads or ferrous rockers to match.

Thanks for the comments. If I had a set of W5 heads sitting on my desk it might be easier to just do it. I really don't understand the lack of support for w2/w5 heads or why someone isn't making new versions of those heads or ferrous rockers to match.
Because they are so deadgum expensive to build. If they weren't so costly, there'd be a greater demand.

-
Back