Advice on new used car, suggestions

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Thinking seriously on replacing my 98 Dakota. Here are my criteria: Better MPG(best I get with Dakota is 19 on longer trips, if I don't try to keep up with traffic), would like to be in the mid to upper 20mpg range highway, more comfort, a tow rating(have 2 teardrop campers, the heavier one weighs right at 1,000 pounds and I am thinking of converting it to haul my nephews soap box derby car, so add about another 300 lbs., possibly a small enclosed trailer). looking at 2-6 years old used, and would like to be around $16,000. Also would like to have room to haul camping equipment. All wheel drive would be a bonus, but other than that options are not a big deal, except for WORKING ac.
Been looking for Subaru Outback or Forester, but around here my price range puts me these in the 100,000 mile range and just not sure if I would be buying troubles with that amount of miles.
Anybody know Subarus that could give me some input? Are the Subarus interference engines? At what mileage is a timing belt replacement recommended?
Any suggestions on what else I might look at?

Thanks
Aaron

Sounds like you need a Nissan or Toyota truck to me.
The Subaru seems a little weak in the pulling ability. (the ones I have driven anyway)

For me the Chrysler minivans are hard to beat for the price. I just got an AWD with 85,000 miles on it hit $3000. The difficult part is Finding one for sale that doesn't have 200,000 miles on it or wasn't a "mom-mobile" that a dozen 5 years beat to crap.

They really are great for many things

My wife had a 93 Grand Caravan and now has a 04 Freestar with 135,000 miles.

Plenty of room, tow rating think they are 4,000 properly equipped

And they get good mileage.

If you want looks, power you might have to give up the gas mileage

Thinking about a ford flex to replace the mini van. Might give it a look

Thinking seriously on replacing my 98 Dakota. Here are my criteria: Better MPG(best I get with Dakota is 19 on longer trips, if I don't try to keep up with traffic), would like to be in the mid to upper 20mpg range highway, more comfort, a tow rating(have 2 teardrop campers, the heavier one weighs right at 1,000 pounds and I am thinking of converting it to haul my nephews soap box derby car, so add about another 300 lbs., possibly a small enclosed trailer). looking at 2-6 years old used, and would like to be around $16,000. Also would like to have room to haul camping equipment. All wheel drive would be a bonus, but other than that options are not a big deal, except for WORKING ac.
Been looking for Subaru Outback or Forester, but around here my price range puts me these in the 100,000 mile range and just not sure if I would be buying troubles with that amount of miles.
Anybody know Subarus that could give me some input? Are the Subarus interference engines? At what mileage is a timing belt replacement recommended?
Any suggestions on what else I might look at?Thanks
Aaron

I've had 2 Daks, and they have truly been disappointments to me. Poor gas mileage relatively speaking), and high maintenance costs. The cost per mile of the Daks was higher than any other pick ups I've owned. So much potential, yet so little reward. Presently I own 5 trucks, ( 3 of which are Dodge Rams). All purchased new, and all used regularly. My V6 (midsized) Daks, could match the economy, the range, the comfort or my 2000 Silverado. It's a full size truck, with an 8' bed, and the cab is "loaded" (less leather), it's got a 4.8L V8/auto, and it pulls 21 MPG on the highway, all day long. Neither of my Daks could touch it, plus, it has a fuel range of 700 miles on a tank of gas., On top of that, when I bought it it 2000 (new), it cost less than my 1999 OR my 2003 Dak cost.

My 2500 Ram Diesel crew cab will make 20 MPG in the interstate, and on long trips can approach 22 MPG. On a round trip drive to New Mexico (which also included 5 days of "in town" driving), from Georgia, my 2500 Ram AVERAGED 19.8 MPG City/Highway combined.
Sorry, I've found the Daks to be a big disappointment. My advice to anyone even considering a Dakota would be to look at the Rams.

Regarding your price range, and your comments, it seems to me that TrailBeast's comment ("Sounds like you need a Nissan or Toyota truck to me") is spot on.

My son had a Tacoma, and it cost a little more than the Nissan, but the reliability, the mileage, and the durability of the Toyota are unbeatable in the small pick up category. Presently there are two more Toyota's in the family, and both have been outstandingly economical to own. Even though the EPA mpg's rated higher on the 4 cylinder Tacoma's, the V6's do offer a little better performance, and IMO offers better ACTUAL MPG's that the 4 banger ( possibly because it doesn't have to work as hard to move the truck).

btw, the Subaru's are a little more costly, whether you buy new or used, but they are worth it. My neighbor's Forester recently turned 275,000 miles with no major repairs, and he's not the most forgiving driver I've ever met. In fact, I don't know anyone who owns a Subaru that doesn't absolutely love them ( though I'm sure after reading this, there will be someone who knows somebody, who....) .

Good luck with your search and purchase.

Have thought of a minivan, but just can't get over the minivan image.

Get a turbo caravan and slap a 5 speed in it.

I had one for a few months and loved it! forgot all about it being a minivan

OR get a toyota Previa, they were mid engined RWD and TRD made a supercharger kit!

This one isn't supercharged?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieMrOdUt9kg"]previa drift - YouTube[/ame]

I've had 2 Daks, and they have truly been disappointments to me. Poor gas mileage relatively speaking), and high maintenance costs. The cost per mile of the Daks was higher than any other pick ups I've owned. So much potential, yet so little reward. Presently I own 5 trucks, ( 3 of which are Dodge Rams). All purchased new, and all used regularly. My V6 (midsized) Daks, could match the economy, the range, the comfort or my 2000 Silverado. It's a full size truck, with an 8' bed, and the cab is "loaded" (less leather), it's got a 4.8L V8/auto, and it pulls 21 MPG on the highway, all day long. Neither of my Daks could touch it, plus, it has a fuel range of 700 miles on a tank of gas., On top of that, when I bought it it 2000 (new), it cost less than my 1999 OR my 2003 Dak cost.

I'll agree with this to a certain extent. My brother-in-law's '98 Silverado is still pulling down low 20's highway. It's a decent riding, decent driving truck.

The issue with most GM's are suspension. And rears. I've replaced a boat load of idler and pitman arms over the years. Some of them with only 50,000 miles on 'em. Same way with ball joints. Coming from the northeast where the constant freeze and thaw takes toll on the roads it's something to consider.

The Daks I don't mind. Nimble little trucks, but yeah, the V6 is a disappointment in the MPG category. The best Karli's has gotten was a little over 16 combined. I get the same mileage out of my '89 F150.

Regarding your price range, and your comments, it seems to me that TrailBeast's comment ("Sounds like you need a Nissan or Toyota truck to me") is spot on.

My son had a Tacoma, and it cost a little more than the Nissan, but the reliability, the mileage, and the durability of the Toyota are unbeatable in the small pick up category. Presently there are two more Toyota's in the family, and both have been outstandingly economical to own. Even though the EPA mpg's rated higher on the 4 cylinder Tacoma's, the V6's do offer a little better performance, and IMO offers better ACTUAL MPG's that the 4 banger ( possibly because it doesn't have to work as hard to move the truck).

Unless you live in the north. Boxsides and cab corners gone in just a few years. Floor pans disappearing just a little while later. Hard to take the powertrain seriously when the truck is gone around it.

btw, the Subaru's are a little more costly, whether you buy new or used, but they are worth it. My neighbor's Forester recently turned 275,000 miles with no major repairs, and he's not the most forgiving driver I've ever met. In fact, I don't know anyone who owns a Subaru that doesn't absolutely love them ( though I'm sure after reading this, there will be someone who knows somebody, who....) .

Good luck with your search and purchase.

Yup. I guess I'm the somebody. Catalytic converter rot. The flange going out on the front cat and making each and every one of them sound like an old Beetle with bad exhaust. Expensive replacement cost for a cat that's not bad, just the flange. Fed laws say a cat has to be covered for 8/80 and aftermarket cats have to be covered for 5/50. And no, we aren't allowed to alter cats, so just cutting the flange off and welding in a new one isn't an option.

The spider intakes have a habit of getting gummed up.

Constant half shaft replacement.

Constant brake replacement. The rear disks have a habit of freezing up. The design of the pins is as such that the rears will hang up and roast pads and rotors. Lot's of brake silicone can help this and making sure the anchors are clean and siliconed at every brake job, but I've noticed, even for that the rears will burn through in half the time of most cars.

Rot, lots of it.

Other than that, just like every other car. Routine maintenance is a must. They'll pop head gaskets just as easy as every other aluminum headed engine. Trans services are a must.

Living in the Dakotas might be a little different than living in upstate NY, though. Depends on if the Dakotas use salt or sand.

Other than that, if you're purchasing a used car, the key is see what the maintenance has been. Timing belt replacement at the proper interval, coolant and trans services, as well as the oil changes. Find out what the weak points are on that particular vehicle and give it a good once over to make sure it's been given the proper attention. (And they all have weak points.)

I get a car I usually put it on my schedule. I go through everything that might be suspect.

The only thing I'll say is what to look for. Stay away from small SUV's (the RAV4, the CRV, the Tuscan). They're built on small car platforms. When you hang another 1000# of body weight on a small car suspension and make no mods for the weight, you're going to have suspension issues.

If you're going to go the minivan route and pull a trailer with it, make sure it has a trans cooler on it.

Unless you live in the north. Boxsides and cab corners gone in just a few years. Floor pans disappearing just a little while later. Hard to take the powertrain seriously when the truck is gone around it.

Salt is for French Fries. :poke:

Crown Vic...v8 power full frame..you can tow what you want...and the trunk is huge...they are comfortable too and will get you 25mpg.

Now I did rent a stow and go Chrysler minivan on my vacation...after the CV got totaled :(..and that thing was great! Stow all the seats and you have a big cargo area.

Can do a bit of towing with them but ever consider a ford edge? That's what I have as my daily driver. I installed a SCT tuner and can get around 32-34MPG on the highway with a v6 and AWD. I haven't had any complaints with it.

I'm partial to Dakota, I have almost 400,000 on mine and still pulls great. Virtually no maintenance cost for me either. For towing I would RUN from a Caravan, too many transmission failures as it is, much less towing with it. Also RUN from ford explorers for the same reason.

I have a 2011 Subaru Impreza for a daily driver, I really love it, so does the wife. We are both Subaru people now. She wants a Forester for herself.

still looking, did find a 2008 Subaru Outback(still stuck on the subarus)with 50,000 miles and is well under my self imposed price range, BUT the ad says salvaged title. Haven't had a chance to take a look at it, ad also says it had hail damage. If hail damage is reason for salvage title I could live with that. A couple concerns I have with salvage title is financing and insurance. Would the bank loan on a salvage title and would the salvage title affect my insurance rate?
Aaron

Soon as I get back in country will be selling my 2wd 2007 6.7 2500 H/D cummins 4dr. $18,000, with 6 speed electric shift auto and jake 22 mpg hwy .

-
Back