Affordable Handling Upgrades?

-
Step 1 and 2 good to start of with a solid suspension,
Why do you think you need springs before torsion bars,
Really as long as your car never bottoms out you can set up handling with just sway bars but it easier to spread the load between the two, the front end does 80% of the work I'd do front sway bar and torsion bars then work work on the back to make the car neutral no over or understeer or just a slight oversteer. Some setups don't even need a rear sway bar. Lowering the car helps a lot but requires more spring rate so it don't bottom out and don't go more than 1.5% rake.

After 1 and 2 on your list I'd go with tire cause tires make the most difference, big and sticky, then sway bars then torsion bars leave leafs to last to see what you need to balance it out.

If I can afford it, I will do torsion bars in step 2. I'll be working up a parts order next week.

I've got ok tires on the car at the moment (Republic Invader Radial GT) appear to be recent with no signs of unusual tread wear at the moment. I'd like to hang on to them while I weigh the option of going with larger wheels.

The great part about deciding to buy this Dart is that now I don't have a car payment, so I'm able to put a little bit of $$ into it every month. (ideally)

If you get to the point where you get "the play" out of things and it's aligned and still won't stay on the road, suspect tires. Tires can and do make a tremendous difference, regardless of appearance as to wear.

And, here's a true story. Years ago my boss had a "bought new" heavy half ton eighties Dodge, needed new rear tires, so I bought a pair. You could not drive it!!!! At 50 mph on the freeway!!! If felt like!!! the *** was gonna overtake!!! the front!!!! It was simply incredible. So what we are talking about is "the luck of the draw" with mismatched tires.

Right on. Thanks for all your help. I'll let everyone know how things are progressing. I'm excited to make this car into a sweet daily driver.

-J

an alignment for sure, but maybe your just not used to the way our old cars drive ? What im trying to say is if your coming from nothing but "new" cars with modern suspension maybe its just a matter of getting used to "old" suspension technology ? ..... just a thought

65-440 you are definitely right. It's been 20 years since I had my Coronet. The more I drive the Dart, the more I'm getting accustomed to it. Front end is definitely age worn and will be replaced though.

Funny thing is I drove the newer car yesterday and about gave myself whiplash when I hit the brakes like I was in the Dart. :)

-
Back