Afraid of heights?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
PBS has had a series on skyscrapers, and the new "One World Trade" building"

Here's a dizzying view of the last part of the spire being installed

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIKhS1ch8I"]Spire WTC final segment lift gopro - YouTube[/ame]

My uncle used to paint and change light bulbs on towers. He took a picture of a 400' tower while he was on top of a 1500' tower, looked like a miniture. Had it at his funeral. Climbed until he was 74 and had a heart attack. He used to tell us stories how they would sway like 6' while he was on top

I used to rock climb. when I took a rock climbing course we spent the first day jumping off of cliffs, and letting the rope and safety harness catch us. Once you got over your fear of falling, you could take risk, reaching way out for a handhold etc. without worry. We got way above the tree tops and didn't even think about it.

we spent the first day jumping off of cliffs, and letting the rope and safety harness catch us. .

This just might be a dangerous attitude. Gear CAN, has, and does fail. And there are little "tricks" that many don't think about until pointed out to them, or they are a victim..........too late.

I climbed my first tower long before full body harnesses were used, all we had were belts. "We" felt safe and secure. This fallacy was pointed out to me years later, after an additional locking latch had been added to all working lanyards. A climbing instructor showed us why.

He had a ragged piece of lanyard with an "old style" safety hook and a ring off a belt. Held them above his head, twisted, and the hook came right out. REALLY REALLY makes the hair stand up on your neck.

We tied our own harnesses with webbing. I forget the name of the knot, as that was 20 years ago, but it is designed to get tighter the more pressure/weight we put on it. We were also careful to count every fall on each rope, after a certain number of falls the rope was incinerated, so no one else could ever use it again.

There are those that rock climb without safety equipment, its called free climbing. One slip and they are usually dead. When I was young they found a man in our hometown that had been free climbing and fell. It took them two weeks to find him in the top of a tree at the bottom of the cliff.

no higher than pulling corn or lower that digging taters

I like to believe I'm not afraid of heights, but they kinda make me nervous... Gotta face fears when your working as a commercial carpenter though... Feel for those Iron Workers, heh.

-
Back