Aftermarket Valvebodies

-

Kegan B

Reaction score
What valvebodies are you guys/gals running in your street cars? Any to stay as
away from? Thanks for any input.

Hear good things about Cheetah and Griner. Whichever you pick get one with low band apply.

are you looking for purely manual valve body or one that retains the automatic shifting features?

make sure you get one WITHOUT engine braking...or you'll put that thing on it's nose on downshifts.

I've had the same cheetah in my dart that slowly made the transformation from a 14 sec street car to a low 10 sec drag car, and it's never given me any issues over 6 or 7 years

lots of guys prefer the Griner Engineering model over the Cheetah. i forget why. i ran a Cheetah for years with no problems though.

the TA cheetah manual valve body can be had with or without 1st gear braking.....your choice..

got a TA cheetah VB that I bought back in 1983....used it again last year in a 71 Duster...

Probably get used again in a 73 Duster.....

I just rebuilt my trans and went with a full manual reverse valvebody from Cope Racing http://coperacingtrans.com/
Works great and John took the time to answer all my questions.
Went with low band apply to take the worry out of blowing the rear sprag out but learned the hard way that it WILL go into first at any speed that you shift it at. My old one was a forward manual vb and I had a bit of a learning curve with the new one.... Went from 2nd to 1st at about 50 mph and blew the driveshaft right out of it (1st is now where 3rd use to be) Other than that, it's great.

Ive used a few Turbo Action manual valve bodies with no issues.

make sure you get one WITHOUT engine braking...or you'll put that thing on it's nose on downshifts.

I've had the same cheetah in my dart that slowly made the transformation from a 14 sec street car to a low 10 sec drag car, and it's never given me any issues over 6 or 7 years

Low band Apply is perfect for a street car. It has saved my *** more than a few times helping to stop the car. Without it I would have crashed the fckr!

Tranzact of Indy makes good stuff.

lots of guys prefer the Griner Engineering model over the Cheetah. i forget why. i ran a Cheetah for years with no problems though.

Because cheetah is old technology! Griner is the ****! I made the switch and never looked back, difference is instantly noticed.

and a 727/904 is new technology....

since the TA was developed back in the 70s....I wonder if these "other" VB are copies of their original design..

Figure out if you want low band apply.

Griners are 245-250
T/A are 185 w/o eng braking and 295 with it

I like it on street cars, but, you need to be careful!

Well we know 727/904 is old technology, but works well ! Shift speed is much faster with a Griner and shifts are way more positive. I took the advise of my machine shop buddy a few years back and switched over, I would have never believed the difference myself until I drove it. The first time I hit 2nd I could tell the difference, even downshifting was more positive. When I sold my '65 coronet, the first comment out of the buyers mouth was about how the trans shifted .....

the TA cheetah manual valve body can be had with or without 1st gear braking.....your choice..

got a TA cheetah VB that I bought back in 1983....used it again last year in a 71 Duster...

Probably get used again in a 73 Duster.....

I believe this is true? only in forward pattern. I don't think any reverse pattern bodies have 1st gear "apply."

I don't even remember who made mine, I bought it used, have to look it up. It's reverse pattern.

LORD is that thing "quick" You can sit at a light, and bump it into low and IT IS IN GEAR and I mean right NOW. On a side note, I don't drive my car in winter, but a manual body would be GREAT for driving in the snow!!!! as you could lock it in 2nd or even 3rd

yeah..TA web site does not show a manual valve body with 1st gear braking.....

tranzact sells a transbrake with 1st gear braking or no 1st gear braking with reverse shift pattern.....

so I figured TA would have that option available....but Nope

Tranzact just built me a FMR Pro-T-Brake Valve Body with Low Band apply. He only does them if you ask. Think he charged me $35.00 for that option.

-
Back