again 273 wanna hear your opinions ...

-
I just put an XE262 in a 273 I am working on. Runs great, at least on the stand. Idles at 650, really snappy with no load, 901-16 springs, Comp off-the-shelf pushrods. The whole cam package was under $340 and no machining required.
here are times to really science out a combination. But for a car that is being detuned this is being way overthought. Way WAY overthinking in some cases. My $.02 anyway.
I bet that would be a fun one. You'll have to post some videos and keep us posted when you get it in and driving. I have been a advocate of small cams in 273's (and 318's too) but I'm changing my tune after chatting with guys like yourself that think outside the box a bit and try a bigger cam. That Xe262 has duration @.050 close to that 220° magic number that we all talk about. You can go bigger in a 273 but you will for sure need a converter and/or gears to make it work.

Short update. .. looks like i'm going with a Custom-Made Whiplash cam from HughesEngines as i'm the very first one ( as Dave from Hughes wrote me) asking for a whiplash to put in a 273. They 've never made one before and would like to do a Custom Grind for me.

Short update. .. looks like i'm going with a Custom-Made Whiplash cam from HughesEngines as i'm the very first one ( as Dave from Hughes wrote me) asking for a whiplash to put in a 273. They 've never made one before and would like to do a Custom Grind for me.
You'll have to let us know how it goes. Sounds like fun. You trail blazer you!:poke::poke:

it has been a long time ... but now i finally found the time to complete the engine and do the break in ... the 273 whiplash is in and the motor is running...

sorry for the partly worse vid.... (should have put the light on to make the tach more visible.. idle is about 800 RPM)

Last edited:
I did up a 273 decades ago for a friend, started life as a 235 HP Commando engine out of a 65 Dart, short block was freshend up with new rings and bearings, the 65 heads got swapped out for a set of 302 castings heads, camshaft got replaced with a Crane Cams "PowerMax H-260-2", p/n 693901, intake was a Holley Street Dominator, exhaust was a pair of Spit Fire shorty headers, engine went into 65 Dart GT, 4 spd car. Car was docile in traffic, and fun to drive........your wife might like something like this.

it has been a long time ... but now i finally found the time to complete the engine and do the break in ... the 273 whiplash is in and the motor is running...

sorry for the more the partly worse vid.... (should have put the light on to make the tach more visible.. idle is about 800 RPM)

Sounds good. I bet you're excited.

-
Back