Air cleaner clearance question

-

Steven190

Reaction score
I have a 69 Dart with a 360, running a Eddy RPM manifold and a 750 Holley. The air cleaner I used as a dropped base 14" K & N 3" cleaner. There as good hood clearance with this combination. Now I am in the process of installing a Fast 2.0 fuel injection unit.

This has changed the position of the air cleaner, I can not run a drop base cleaner, I have to go to a flat base one to clear the fuel fittings.

My question is does the flat base air cleaner with 3" element clear the hood?

One way to find out is to mix up some play-dough and stack some balls around it on the air cleaner with the current setup to see what kind of clearance you've got.

One way to find out is to mix up some play-dough and stack some balls around it on the air cleaner with the current setup to see what kind of clearance you've got.

I don't know of an easier way...and play dough is cheap!!! I get creative and make tall (solid) cylinders to make sure I hit something when I close the hood.

treblig

I think I have it, I found a Edelbrock 14" cleaner that has a 3/8" drop, It clears the fuel fittings and the hood closes, I will check clearance, but it looks to be good.

thanks for the reply

I think I have it, I found a Edelbrock 14" cleaner that has a 3/8" drop, It clears the fuel fittings and the hood closes, I will check clearance, but it looks to be good.

thanks for the reply
I bought a drop base air cleaner bottom off ebay. it clears my fast 2.0 , have a 3 1/2" k-n filter on it, and only have a 1/2" clearance between the top and a 6 pack scoop, w/ a torquer 2 intake. still out to lunch on the intake, but no room. 1200 cfm throttle body is pretty large for a small block. what kind of h.p. are you figuring ?

I put some clay on the cleaner and have at least 3/4" clearance over the cleaner with a 3" K & N element. The problem was the fuel fittings going into the throttle body, they are straight out and the base did not fit over them. The new base is above the fittings about an 1/8".

The engine is a 408, as dynoed at 550 horse and 560 foot pounds torque. The engine was built by Mike at MRL.

Air cleaner clearance.jpg

I put some clay on the cleaner and have at least 3/4" clearance over the cleaner with a 3" K & N element. The problem was the fuel fittings going into the throttle body, they are straight out and the base did not fit over them. The new base is above the fittings about an 1/8".

The engine is a 408, as dynoed at 550 horse and 560 foot pounds torque. The engine was built by Mike at MRL.

View attachment 1715018203
1200 cfm sounds like a lot for 550 hp !????????

The unit is rated up to 600 horse power. They have a larger unit for up to 1200 horse. I have the smaller one.

-
Back