air cleaner help

-

rm69dart

Reaction score
hi guys

ok i have a 69 dart 340 with ld340 intake and a 1406 edel. question is what type of air cleaner can i use not to much hood clearance. i had a moper performance air cleaner for this set up, does not clear the hood. is there anyway i can still use the MP air cleaner? what type do i need to look for? thanks for your help.

I think a lot of people were using Corvette filter bases at one time?

the last drop base aircleaner I bought , I threw in the trash because it wouldn't clear my linkages. especially the fuel outlets, unless you spend another 50 - 100 bucks on all the fancy fittings.

you need to find a dropped base air cleaner. the lids are the same so you can still use the MP lid if you find a good base for same diameter air filter.

see how this one covers over the top of the carb: http://compare.ebay.com/like/310637367814?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I used a similar model drop base (Spectre unit from Autozone) and it clears the aftermarket linkage offered by Jegs for the Holley carbs. Not sure if it would clear the factory linkage, but I like the aftermarket return spring setup anyways. Looks safer to me and it's adjustable.
Also, if the drop base interferes with anything, you can take a rubber mallet and "massage" in the center of the base to lessen the amount of drop. That's what I did and it works great.
I have a Holley Strip Dominator intake and a Holley 3310 carb with the Spectre 14" X 3" drop base air cleaner and nothing rubs. But like I said, I did purchase the aftermarket return springs linkage from Jegs.

Best of luck.
-Mike

the one I posted was for a reference. I am not sure how much drop they are going to need some are dropped a lot, some not so much,
And yes, you can get shorter air filter elements to help offset the difference also.

Keep in mind though the more dropped and thinner you go the more restrictive you get for air into the engine. first and foremost your engine is an air pump. Keep it minimal for clearance.

Keep in mind though the more dropped and thinner you go the more restrictive you get for air into the engine. first and foremost your engine is an air pump.

absolutely.

the more air the better

Attachments

• d381.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 237
it sure would be nice if someone made a mild dropped base for the oddball size 12 3/4 inch mopar lid. i know the drop couldnt be too much on that small 12 3/4 inch diameter as it would hit linkage and choke horns...but I imagine a 1/2" or 3/4" drop could be possible.

-
Back