Air compressor help

-

DusterOff

1973 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying an air compressor for my garage. I want to be able to sand my project car without having to stop and wait for the tank to fill and without burning up the pump. What size should I be looking for?

First off, do you have 220v to your garage? If you do, then look for a compressor that has a 60 gallon tank and the ability to put out at least 13 cfm at 90 psi. It will cost at least $500, and probably more. Reason so high of a cfm is because those air tools, like sanders, use up a BUNCH of air. If your compressor has too small a tank and low cfm, it will have to run continually to keep up, that's not good, shortens the life of the compressor, plus will cause the air to get hot. When the air cools, it will condense and you will have problems with water. I know from personal experience. I don't have 220v in my garage and had to settle for a smaller compressor that has to run constantly for me too use my DA sander. Hope this helps.

You want to concentrate on the PUMP airflow AT 90 psi, and be SURE

Do NOT get sucked into ratings "at 40 PSI" or at SCFM which is atmospheric pressure at t he suction port.

Both the last are "tricks" to make a compressor seem larger.

Tank size does nothing if you don't have the pump to support it. If possible get an all cast iron pump or at the very least aluminum with iron liner.

Do NOT settle for "oil less" or direct drive. You want belt drive.

We used to say "buy a brand name" but even the "brand names" nowadays have been polluted with imported Chineseo rebranded junk.

HP ratings and amperage are known to be big lies.

If you look at used ones, stay away from "old junk." The old ones might be "built like a battleship" but tank life is finite because of rust, and they can be DEADLY

0.gif

First off, do you have 220v to your garage? If you do, then look for a compressor that has a 60 gallon tank and the ability to put out at least 13 cfm at 90 psi. It will cost at least $500, and probably more. Reason so high of a cfm is because those air tools, like sanders, use up a BUNCH of air. If your compressor has too small a tank and low cfm, it will have to run continually to keep up, that's not good, shortens the life of the compressor, plus will cause the air to get hot. When the air cools, it will condense and you will have problems with water. I know from personal experience. I don't have 220v in my garage and had to settle for a smaller compressor that has to run constantly for me too use my DA sander. Hope this helps.

Yup! 5 hp./80 gallon 230 volt should do the trick. (2 cylinder/ 2 stage)

If you have a Tractor Supply Company go check them out, they also have layaway.

I bought this at a yard sale for 150$ its set up for 220 [I use my dryer 220 outlet] the guy sold it due to moving. I used it for 2 1/2 years on my Charger project best purchase I ever made, never had to stop and wait for the tank to fill. I have several compressors this one does it all. Check Craig's List and garage sales!!!!!!!

Attachments

• metal work-white topper 010.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 314
Cfm
cfm
cfm
cfm

Whoa, what's with the new auto cap???

get 7.5 hp 80 gallon tank 2 stage compressor you will need about a 40 amp breaker.This
will do sandblasting and running grinder and da.Get a high cfm rating like 19 or more at 90 psi.Just went through all this

get 7.5 hp 80 gallon tank 2 stage compressor you will need about a 40 amp breaker.This
will do sandblasting and running grinder and da.Get a high cfm rating like 19 or more at 90 psi.Just went through all this

This is better way than the 5 hp/60 gallon setup. You can't go wrong with more capacity and pumping power. I currently run 2, 5 hp/ 60 gallon compressors tied together. It works pretty good, but runs a lot when DA ing
and grinding. Also have to be mindful when painting an allover. I am planning on upgrading sometime in the next year.

A compressor is one place where looking for the best bargain will not help.

Yep.....I got mine form Home Depot years ago, it is a refurbished IR. Pump pushes enough air it will cycle on & off with an open hose....Cost me like $550.

Yep.....I got mine form Home Depot years ago, it is a refurbished IR. Pump pushes enough air it will cycle on & off with an open hose....Cost me like $550.

That's a good one. At the tire store where I worked once, they had two crappy newer compressors that "worked" and one OLD Kellog American that did not. We always were stressed for air but the company was too cheap to do anything about it.

So one day, I got to lookin at the old compressor. The pressure regulator was burned up. I got a new one and put it in and busted it off. That 1940s compressor would pump up and cycle with every single air over hydraulic lift's lever in that shop OPEN. It ran that whole shop right by itself and maintained a constant 175 PSI. It was a V4, two stage pump that I had to use a chain hoist to remove and reinstall. When it ran it lumbered along going bop bop bop bop, MAYBE at 500 RPM pump speed. LOL It was mounted on a 160 Gallon horizontal tank. They don't make stuff like that anymore.

A buddy had an old gas powered compressor from his roofing days. Decent size tank, think it was 80 gallons. Had a 14 horse Briggs & Stratton on it. with a v4 compressor. Would go from empty to 175 psi in under a minute. Had to watch it as it had a tendency to walk around.....When we got it running in my driveway in AZ we went inside for a minute, came out to find it had taken off and was in front of a neighbors house.....He put casters with brakes in it afterwards.....

That's funny. I can just see a big compressor walkin down the driveway.

Don't forget to get a water trap and filtration of sorts....

This is the one I want, I will have to win the lottery.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ingersoll-randreg%3B-5hp-air-compressor-80-gal

The 80 Gallon 2-Stage Air Compressor is designed to provide continuous power and is built to last.
  • 5 HP (as rated by engine manufacturer) 230V 2-stage air compressor
  • 175 max. PSI and 80 gal. ASME tank
  • 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI
  • 100% continuous duty all cast iron pump
  • 230V single phase motor, no starter required
  • Includes finned intercooler
  • Mounted discharge valve
  • Extended design life lasts 15,000+ hrs.
  • One year industrial grade warranty on complete machine - Pump warranty extended to two years with use of Ingersoll Rand's All Season synthetic lubricant, included

• FM @ 90 PSI - 15.8

• Grade - Consumer

• Height - 76 in.

• Length - 48 in.

• Material - Cast Iron

• Maximum Pressure - 175 PSI

• PSI Rating - 175 PSI

• Phase - Single

• Pump Style - Two-Stage

• Running HP - 5 HP

• Style - Stationary

• Tank Size - 80 gal.

• Voltage Rating - 230 V

• Weight - 600 lb.

• Width - 40 in.

• Brand - Ingersoll Rand®

• Warranty - 2-Year Limited
Home > Tools & Safes > Air Compressors, Air Tools & Accessories > Ingersoll Rand® 5HP Air Compressor, 80 gal.
Ingersoll Rand® 5HP Air Compressor, 80 gal.

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

img_zoom.gif
btn_zoomin_off.gif
btn_zoomout_off.gif
btn_reset_off.gif

spacer.gif

I have a Campbell Haus about the same size as that Craigslist one you're looking at. 240v, 60 gallons, don't know the other specs on it. I have media blasted nearly every metal part of my Duster with it over the last few years including the entire undercarriage. It runs A LOT when blasting but always got the job done. For air tools/blowing it's perfect for me

A compressor is one place where looking for the best bargain will not help.

Depends on what your definition of "bargain" is.

I bought a 70's or 80's 32 CFM Bel-Air via craigslist for $700.

That's a bargain!

That IR shown above is a great unit. I put one in our shop a couple years ago. We run everything from 1" impact guns, plasma cutter, and paint guns. Works great.

-
Back