Air rifle for long term SHTF small game hunting situ.

-
Thats the one i'm getting

I have thot about an air gun too. I had a 22 cal. pump up Benjamin as a kid, wasn`t the best in my opinion, (back then). I have seen 1250 ft per second break barrels around for $180, any one have know anything about them ?? Also bought my son a 177 cal pump up, when he was young, he left it here when he moved out yrs ago. I left it pumped up over night once and killed it, don`t want another like it. It was a 950 ft per second if I remember right, would shoot thru both sides of a galv garbage can at 5 pumps when it was new.
Still have a bunch of 177`s and bb`s left over.

I bought a cheap Black ops .177 BB/Pellet gun at Walmart on the drive out camping. Nothing special but it passed the time plinking cans. About 1100 FPS with 10 pumps. I can shoot a dime size group at 40 feet with 3 pumps. Pellets are way more accurate. Pellet scopes are boresighted at like 30 yds but you can zero this to any range. UK has some awesome air gun sites, I like the youtuber that uses an IR scope and shoots rats with a $1700 gas pellet gun that takes a cylinder (but he can pump it with a hand pump). Can put a rats eye out at 10M. I believe a silencer on an air rifle is still legal.
IMGP2818.JPG

Buddy of mine has the benjamin varmint hunter. Says its great. He is a total gun nut. You name it he has it. Says its a great plinker, and varmint gun. Recommended it whole heartedly. Said in a long term SHTF thats what he will be using his for small game himself, to save his ammo for other use. Says everything about it is great. Scope, pointer etc. Though i know the laser will prob spook dove. Prob will order it today from walmart.com

I think you'll be happy with it. Only thing I don't care for is the trigger. Its adjustable for pull weight, but has alot of travel to it. Not bad after you get used to it though. Tried several different pellets in mine. Benjamin hunting hollow points shot ok, but the red tipped gamos seem to group better and expand faster which helps when hunting. Good luckwith it

I have been committing squirrel genocide with a Gamo Whisper for the past few years after catching one digging up my tomato plants.
It is over 1100 FPS.

Pretty effective.

Do you think it`s quiet enough to deserve the whisper name?

Not really. But it is reasonable for the suburbs I think. I also don’t skimp on pellets. I buy Gamo pellets. The heavier ones. A bit quieter I think. They fit real snug in the barrel. The improved accuracy is worth it. Don’t buy the pellets from a gun shop, while I usually support small, local businesses, Wally World had them about half the price.

I got this one in.22 at Walmart for right under a hundred. Awesome, accurate and hits pretty hard. I would never entertain the thought of a pump or Co2 for any number of reasons. The single stroke allows the ability to **** it and leave it in the corner virtually forever without loss of compression. You never know when you need that quick shot.
Benjamin Prowler | Gas piston Air Rifle | Airgun Depot

Another option is a .22 rim fire shooting short CBs. They hit a lot harder and are quieter than a pellet rifle. Only catch is that you would need something aside from a semi auto as they don't have the power to actuate the action. They also cost a little more.

I got this one in.22 at Walmart for right under a hundred. Awesome, accurate and hits pretty hard. I would never entertain the thought of a pump or Co2 for any number of reasons. The single stroke allows the ability to **** it and leave it in the corner virtually forever without loss of compression. You never know when you need that quick shot.

Damn, 950 FPS in a .22? Thats awesome. But the 'thing' on the end...WTH? If you drill a few small holes in the top you can probably reduce the report substantially.

Another option is a .22 rim fire shooting short CBs. They hit a lot harder and are quieter than a pellet rifle. Only catch is that you would need something aside from a semi auto as they don't have the power to actuate the action. They also cost a little more.
This sounds very interesting. How old is this post? Under a $100 for 1250 fps. !!

whatever you do, dont use a daisy grizzly
i tried taking out a tree rat with one the other day, at about 50 yards, 10 pumps and a BB (it also takes pellets)
i hit the rat square in between the eyes, it looked at me, flipped me the bird and ran off

I got a Ruger .22 (not sure who makes it) at a Friends of NRA banquet last year that advertises 1100 fpm that shoots GREAT!

Squirrels, Rabbits, even feral cats.

Last edited:
I got a Ruger .22 (not sure who makes it) at a Friends of NRA banquet last year that advertises 1100 rpm that shoots GREAT!

Squirrels, Rabbits, even feral cats.
Perhaps it is made by Ruger firearms ?

I carry their SR9 as a daily in the winter

I have been committing squirrel genocide with a Gamo Whisper for the past few years after catching one digging up my tomato plants.
It is over 1100 FPS.

Pretty effective.

Squirrels. The assholes willcheck up truk wiring under the hood, babies will sharpen their their on the rawhide on your best saddles, chew off the wire on the taillites of your car trailer.... Assholes they are ..the le 12 ga. goose gun that I sawed off at barely legal is good for them!
Squirrel dumplins!!!!

Buy a Stoger. Holy crap. Sounds like a 22 going of for a one pump action. Very accurate as well

I may be able to help here. I live in a fairly rural area, but still have neighbors within earshot so something very quiet was a good idea. I needed something several steps down from a .22LR to shoot woodpeckers who were intent on wrecking the siding on the house, and my trees too. I looked at and fiddled with a bunch of air rifles, but settled on a Benjamin Discovery. It is a PCP (Pre-Charged Pneumatic) that gets pressurized with a bicycle-style pump. It is fairly quiet, but when I added a suppressor, it went to just about silent. It sounds like a half-hearted handclap when it goes off. I absolutely endorse the .22 vs .177 business. It is so quiet I can get a second shot (never needed more than one time!) without spooking the extremely skittish woodpeckers. It is deadly accurate and blows up these things out to 25+ yards. You will not be disappointed.

-
Back