air shocks....to do or not to do

-
so i should get them right lol ive made my decision and thank you guys for all the help and knowledge

Dart with "Air Shocks". Oh Boy !!!! :cheers:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 201
I'll throw my 2 cents in too.
I've got air shocks on my 75 Dart. I did it to improve ride height.
I've got a similar set of coil over shocks on my 74 Duster. They were there when I bought it.
I have installed KYB shocks on a professional basis for several years.
I can say this, if all you want to do is replace the shocks, you absolutely cannot go wrong with the KYB's.They are a superior shock and will serve you well. They cost a little more than Monroe or Gabriell's, but are well worth the extra money.
Now, the given the history of the A bodies and their tendency to rust at the frames, there is no way I would use air shocks or coil overs without thoroughly inspecting the underside of the car. If it is completely safe, I wouldn't hesitate to use either type shock. The air shocks will offer some flexibility in ride height where the coil overs stay put but are more forgiving with ride quality. The one thing I will say about the air shocks, don't take them to more than a inch or two. That's really pushing it too. any thing over that will just cause havoc.
Regardless of what you do, I recommend that you also replace the front's also.

i planned on replacing them all together and thanks that really helped me so i think i am gonna try air shocks my body has no rust so i think ill be ok

Springs hold the car up.
Shocks control the spring movement.

If you are using air shocks to hold up the car, what that really means is that you don't have the right spring.

If you like your ride height but put on air shocks anyway.... That's called "Making a bad purchase".

Springs hold the car up.
Shocks control the spring movement.

If you are using air shocks to hold up the car, what that really means is that you don't have the right spring.

If you like your ride height but put on air shocks anyway.... That's called "Making a bad purchase".

Kind of like making a bad choice? We've all done that at one time or another, eh?

Did anyone mention the ride quality of the two types of shocks? If I recall correctly, air shocks are not a 'double acting' shock. I don't know how to explain it, but most shocks will dampen the travel in both directions. Air shocks constantly want to 'slam' back to the extended position, which has a bad effect on the ride quality.

I am basing this on 30 year old experience, so this may not be the case any longer.

I have a 66 valiant, slant 6 170 c.i. standard shift Plymouth and the springs have sagged
over the years, So, with that being said I did put a set of Monroe's air shocks on to raise and level my ride I put 90 lbs in them after I installed them to check for leaks with soap and water, No leaks I did not even drive it with that much air in them, I took them down to 40 lb's and they have been on for well over 3 years :eek:ops:

I have neglected saving the cash needed to put new springs on my Valiant and I get confused reading some threads on what springs to buy :-#, I do not want ss springs, I want my front end to carry the weight it was designed for.... :thumblef: I have been spraying PB plaster on my nut's and bolts for 2 years now but have yet to order a set of springs :eek:ops:.. I have had 4 people in my little A body and we are talking well over 750 lbs of passenger weight :shock:, My frame is solid, bearings on all 4 corners are new, brakes and tires new. It is time to get some of the body roll out of my 66 and I believe that new rear springs should be my first step being the springs are farther out board and need to be replaced being 47 years old, So where did I find the correct springs at 1 year ago :-k, that was not SS or racing springs that had good tech support and knew that I want the correct springs for my 2.745 lb A body Plymouth I love dearly and will never sell it in my life time :sunny:.... Running air shocks to give me a much better feel of even stability and if you seen how high these shocks would raise the rear of Victoria you could see she shops at Victoria Secrets :toothy9:

Know to go find a thread to let me know where I need to buy the correct and new spring's for my gall Victoria, and then do a front sway bar, My air shocks have not hurt a darn thing just because I do not over load the car and keep my air pressure between 40 and 50 lb's, and yes!! I went from 45 lbs to near 25 lbs at the track and got a much better bight leaving the tree J.D and Rob :thumblef:

My Scamp had air shocks on it when i bought it (can't recall the brand but they were orange). Someone did this to overcome the fact that the rear leaf springs are shot. I took them off and put KYB's on, and now the rear is draggin ***. I have new MP heavy duty springs to put on, but have to tend to some other issues before I bother with that.

With the air shocks pumped up to correct the ride height, it was rough riding. Hit a bump and you jarred teeth loose.

Redneck wannabee?? I'm nowhere near North Carolina...and my air shocks work just fine, thank you...and have for years.

Flimsy mounts...so you don't use coil-overs either, for the same reason?
Yes, I would not use the factory shock mounts for anything other than they were designed for. Are you saying everyone in North Carolina is a redneck? Just cause you beat your shock mounts for years, doesn't make it a good idea.
Ever get the feeling you were talking to the cat?

Yes, I would not use the factory shock mounts for anything other than they were designed for. Are you saying everyone in North Carolina is a redneck? Just cause you beat your shock mounts for years, doesn't make it a good idea.

Not everyone, but that is the area of the country they are from, right.

My shock mounts aren't "beat for years"...why don't you ( and all you other nay-sayers) come and have a look-see for yourself, y'all seem to know so much about them?

Last edited by furyus2; 09-09-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: more to add

You didn't add much.

Really. It's not an issue as long as you don't pump them to the sky and beat the snot out of it. Is it 100% correct? Well no, but neither are butt connectors.

Really. It's not an issue as long as you don't pump them to the sky and beat the snot out of it. Is it 100% correct? Well no, but neither are butt connectors.

Exactly Rob...thats all I've ever tried to say on the subject.

...now, about those butt connectors....!...LOL

So did the OP figure out which good normal shocks to get?

I like bilstein, have them on a 00 4x4 dakota v8 and an 05 f150 long bed 2wd 4.2. Both are factory ride height and suspension.
Amazon has them for a great price. The dakota had good condition rancho 5000s on it but they were overdampened (or something) in both directions so it rode rough as fk and skipped over bumps at high speed. The ford had 100k factory shocks which were near death. Both vehicles the Bilsteins made a world of difference. Excellent control but not too harsh. Second on my list would also be KYB, they seem a bit weak for dampening of aggressive driving w/ heavy cars w/ stiff springs but are excellent for normal driving in my experience. Third on my list would be the heaviest duty store brand Napa has to offer.

well i have been at work for a week and just returned today and my shocks will be here anytime now so only time will tell if i made the right choice and i don't plan to jack them up to the sky just needed some good shocks was all

Not everyone, but that is the area of the country they are from, right.

My shock mounts aren't "beat for years"...why don't you ( and all you other nay-sayers) come and have a look-see for yourself, y'all seem to know so much about them?

[/I]

You didn't add much.
Your comments are about as bigoted and rude as you can be. I've said all I have to on the subject. If you don't agree it doesn't matter. Pump up your air shocks, crimp your butt connectors, wipe down your giant yellow Accel coil, and yellow plug wires and have a great day!

Air shocks provide a really rough ride. The reason it affects the suspension is because they are so damn stiff. It doesn't allow one side to twist up as the other twists down. Think of SS springs with an extra leaf on the right side....

threw in air shocks in the rear of my duster, love em. fatty tires dont rub with the minimum 12 pounds. cool thing is when the back seat is filled with chicks (right) i can put a few more pressures in and still no rub. (keep in mind i had coilovers to begin with)

would i put them in the front? nope. unless i welded in some braces

Your comments are about as bigoted and rude as you can be. I've said all I have to on the subject. If you don't agree it doesn't matter. Pump up your air shocks, crimp your butt connectors, wipe down your giant yellow Accel coil, and yellow plug wires and have a great day!

no matter how many reneck wannabes tell you it's a good idea

Mr FuryUs...You may want to check your post back on page 1...you called me the name first.

cool thing is when the back seat is filled with chicks (right) i can put a few more pressures in and still no rub. (keep in mind i had coilovers to begin with)

Just think...If you had a set of real shocks,you could spend less time airing up,and more time in the back seat rubbing up.

-
Back