All hail the Plymouth Horizon

-
There's a guy who just around the corner from me that has 2 of them. While me next store neighbor has a couple of Chevettes.

My first car was an 82 Plymouth Horizon silver 4 door 3sp standard...

Are you sure it was a 3 speed? I had 2...a '79 and and '85, the 79 was 4 speed and the '85 was 5.

Not a particularly refined car, but no worse than anyone else's econoboxes of the era. My 2 served me well.

My Ford Ford 150 would look real nice parked on top of that pile of crap!!

Man I loved my old 85 Horizon 2.2 5 speed, I took it on multiple trips from Florida to Colorado and cruised parts of Route 66. It served me well until the wife decided she wanted a car with AC.

Ummmm have you noticed prices on these cars lately? Even diplomats are going up.

My first NEW car was a 1982 Plymouth Horizon TC3 Miser. $7800.00 brand new. My buddy was trying to talk me out of getting it and he said to me "Lets go and check this car out". I reluctantly agreed. We pulled into the driveway and there it was in all of its B5 blue glory a 1970 Plymouth AAR Cuda, 340 Six Pack, 4 speed!!!! The guy wanted $1500.00 and I TURNED HIM DOWN. I am still kicking myself in the a$$ for this.

I loved the Omni/Horizons. Owned 3 of them over about a 12 year period and if I could find a low milage 88 or 89 with a 5sp I'd try and get it...lol. Sad but true.

Cram a Hemi in it and we would all drive it at least once!:)

I worked on em at the dealer back in the day. Not a bad car. A little unrefined. The manuals had that spoon in oatmeal shifter feel. The 2.2L mopar design was a definite improvement over the VW Audi 1.6L. The stock electronic feedback holley carbs on em sucked. The dodge version of the L body with the GLHS turbo intercooled setup was way better. The easy way to change the clutch was to drop the whole lower K frame out, easier way was to drop it off at the dealer and let em do it. When it comes to FWD mopars i prefer the turbo G bodys from 87 to 89. Thanks for the memories.

Had a 85 2.2 4/speed.Did a road trip from Colorado to Vancouver and back and many DDduties.It was one of the better DD's I had back then.

I learned how to drive in a '79 Omni. Parents bought new. Easy driving car, but was a POS. Constant carb and trans problems. Parents didn't keep it very long.

Constant carb and trans problems.

Never had any transmission problems, but I agree those carbs sucked. I was never able to rebuild one without introducing a vacuum leak. Not enough to really affect driveability but it would make one cylinder (I think it was #4) run lean enough to burn valves.

Last edited:
1475960569_zpselmx0tkg.jpg

Going to be driving this 1984 rampage 2.2 auto into the ground.
So far Sk good. Having fixed the cruise control has made it much more enjoyable to drive.
The seat was very uncomfortable so I took a sawdahl to the side cusions in the back rest over my lunch break.

26mpg so far.

-
Back