all I have to say is when buying an old car dont trust anyone about its history

-
I know that my 76 Pontiac Ventura is an original low mileage car, verified through documentation when I bought it in 2011, plus the overall condition of it was such that it was clear that it had 27k miles, still had the original tires on it! It doesn't get driven much, currently there is around 41k miles on the clock. I have tried to sell it a couple of times but it seems like nobody wants a Ventura, if it were a Nova, it would have been sold long ago.
Now I am starting to think that I should just do what I want to with it and forget the "originality" since it doesn't seem to matter much anyway. Hey, it's never been in a crash, and has absolutely no rust on it, so what better way to start than skipping the body and paint expense?
I did have it painted about 7 years ago and it still looks great.
I am merely curious. Does your Ventura have the Chevy 307, or the Buick 350? Or is it the chevy straight six?
I had a early 70s Omega that still had the Olds engine. Anybody that wanted to buy it was hoping for a chevy, so they could swap their "badass" chevy into it.

I am merely curious. Does your Ventura have the Chevy 307, or the Buick 350? Or is it the chevy straight six?
I had a early 70s Omega that still had the Olds engine. Anybody that wanted to buy it was hoping for a chevy, so they could swap their "badass" chevy into it.
In fact it was born with a 260 cube 2 bbl Oldsmobile V8, backed by a Th350 and a 10 bolt differential packing a 2.56 gear. Yeah, she's a little road rocket, not!

Believe about half of what you hear from a unknown seller. Unless it is documented and then be careful with that.
At the very most.
I always tell people here that if you cannot hear an engine run, you need to assume it needs a complete rebuild. If you cannot put a transmission in gear and feel it move the car, you must assume it needs a complete rebuild. Same with brakes and all suspension. comments like, "all it needs is a new carb and it will run fine" or "it was running and driving when I put it up" are useless.

I was told that ol Norm only put 66K on the 72 duster slant 6 i got back in covid. I can see the head has been off but she drives so smooth its hard not to believe. No rattles. Montana car with sunburn.

Might not be true. But it is what it is. If i sell it, i can only repeat the story and tell the buyer it might be BS.

Fair.

20230216_145733.jpg

20230216_145931.jpg

20211214_123843.jpg

20230216_145741.jpg

Last edited:
I was told that ol Norm only put 66K on the 72 duster slant 6 i got back in covid. I can see the head has been off but she drives so smooth its hard not to believe. No rattles. Montana car with sunburn.

Might not be true. But it is what it is. If i sell it, i can only repeat the story and tell the buyer it might be BS.

Fair.

View attachment 1716235877

View attachment 1716235878

View attachment 1716235880

View attachment 1716235881
Nice find! What colour is the Duster and what brand of RWL tires are those and how old are they?

Purchased a 1970 swinger 340 fall of 1983. The person I bought it from had it a year and created a bit of law trouble with it. His father said it has to go..!! The dad made me supply proof of age (18) at the time. Car was previously a drag car converted back to a street car.The kid had old drag photos.The car was about 5 different color schemes over a number of years. Actually 7. When I stripped it I found them all. Sold the car in 95 done fj5 sublime black vinyl top. Original f4 green black vinyl top. Bounced around local for a few years then gone. Found on e-bay 2007 done black and advertised as matching 340. Also claimed original black one repaint..?? If only the cars themselves could tell the REAL story..!! Swingn’

-
Back