all i need is good mufflers.

-

MvJackson

72duster
Reaction score
i tried once before didn't get a lot of recommendations..

i just installed a dual weber 2 barrel intake from clifford with their headers on my slant six.

i have the x pipe and a set of flow master u fit flow master pipes at 2.25, i want a loud muffler without the annoying crackle i have heard on come flow master mufflers.

i heard magna flow has a good 3 chamber and i was watching some videos of the borla xr-1 and love the borla..

I was wondering about the drone in the car with the borla?

Anyone out there with a similar set up?

Thanks in advance!

I use summit chambered mufflers. I think they were 20 bucks a piece. For a chambered muffler I think they sound good. I prefer turbo mufflers myself though. If you run your exhaust all the way out the back I would think you wouldn't have any drone.

I'm a Magnaflow fan. I don't like Flowmasters ratty sound and they usually drone at highway speeds.

Borla, in my case XR-1's.

Louder outside but deeper and cleaner, no tin or crackle.

Quieter inside, no drone.

They say the dynomax turbo's are good. Be careful not to get a muffler that is too loud. The drone sucks. Flowmaster has several different mufflers from loud down to one that's more tame. Check on-line. I have the quiet 40 series with 2 1/4 on my V8 sounds good. By quiet I mean less loud.

If you can fit them the hushpower mufflers made by Flowmaster work.

Every and I mean every car I've worked on, built, been in or around with flowmasters are the same. Loud inside, sounds great at idle, sound like **** under WOt or load. My local dyno and engine builder also did a test with them for a guy who swore by Flowmaster and the chambered flowmasters leave power on the table.

I have Magnaflows on my Valiant. It's pretty quiet when you're not on it, but open up the throttle and they bark pretty loud. Kinda the best of both worlds. Not a lot of drone. This is with an X-pipe.

Awesome thanks guys! I think in going with the borla xr1. I am gonna run an x pipe. Taking it to get welded this week.

I love the chambered mufflers like Flowmaster and especially the Summit brand for the price. They never wear out, like fiberglass matting and they never change sound. If you don't want a droning effect, just choose a muffler with a larger body and or more chambers.

They wear out when they blow a baffle and you think you have a rod knock..

You should be more concerned with power, than sound.
Magnaflow mufflers, with their straight through design, is the best flowing muffler out there. Flow = Power.

Leave the expensive/hyped Borla stuff to the Porshe guys.

Ok. I was looking at the straight through borla. What magnaglow model are you talking about?
These are going straight out the back of the car.
I want power and a minimal drone in the car. But deep and no crackle outside.

What muffler would be the best performance?

I am hopin to get it done by this Sunday's mopar show out in riverside, ca

You should be more concerned with power, than sound.
Magnaflow mufflers, with their straight through design, is the best flowing muffler out there. Flow = Power.

AGREE 100%

Leave the expensive/hyped Borla stuff to the Porshe guys.

the expense part, not so much

Indentical mufflers
Borla 40359 = 89.99

Magnaflow 11229 = 97.95

Across the boards they are comparable in price.

I love the chambered mufflers like Flowmaster and especially the Summit brand for the price. They never wear out, like fiberglass matting and they never change sound. If you don't want a droning effect, just choose a muffler with a larger body and or more chambers.

+1 on this!

I love the sound of a Flowmaster. Even from a distance, you can tell that distinctive sound. I fell in love with their sound with Ford small blocks.

After I get my car put back together, I'm going to dump the Magnaflows that I have and get Flowmasters. Unless it doesn't fit the budget, then I'll have to deal with what I have.

I ran flowmasters on my slant with headers and the car sounded great until WOT. I'm not a huge fan of loud slants or any v6 for that matter so if I personally had to do it again I wouldn't go with the flowmasters. It's nice to see someone hang onto a slant though...I miss mine from time to time.

yeah thanks this slant is my daily driver and i plan on having some fun with it as well.

i think it'll be a really fun car once everything is in and tuned right, i have been hearing so many different opinions on the mufflers its hard to make a final decision.

Youtube is some help but mostly v8s on there.

And actually all you need is a good muffler, not mufflers on a slant 6.

A single 2.25" - 2.50" exhaust with a free flowing muffler is all you need.

But hell, what do I know ?

Play through.

Attachments

• IMG_20140108_112202558.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 270
And actually all you need is a good muffler, not mufflers on a slant 6.

A single 2.25" - 2.50" exhaust with a free flowing muffler is all you need.

But hell, what do I know ?

Play through.

This is what I did as well. One single 3" (collector size) with the longest muffler that would fit.

Check out Spintech mufflers. Have used them a few times and love the sound. I had never experienced drone in my Cuda or Charger with them. I was using an x pipe and full exhaust, not sure if that made the difference or not. They were the sportsman series, a touch louder idling than I would have liked, but a little too quiet when I added resonators. They sounded wicked at full throtttle, though! I just placed an order for the sportsman XL - they added a few more spin traps for more sound control.

I second cu440da's recommendation!

For a Slant 6 I recommend a Spintech muffler such as the following:

Pro Street 6221 (2 1/4")
Pro Street 6331 (2 1/2")

I had the 6331 on a Ranger V6 and it sounded great, although it did drone a bit at 2,500 RPM in 5th gear on the freeway. I also had it dumped right after the muffler.

The great thing about the Spintech Pro Street muffler is that it's very compact and not overly loud, but people did always tell me that they heard me coming.

-
Back